Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Configuring Network
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Binary89
Hi im a noob...

Please Help me...

I booted Knoppix 3.4 ( live from cd )

Im having problems getting the internet to work. When i load it up i go to Network Card Configure and hit yes to the popup box thats says DCHP or something and i then go to mozzila but it tell me that it cannot resolve the webpage...

I have a P4 2.2 , 512 Ram, Intel Mobo (D845EBG2) and the network card is integrated it seem to detect the card but i dono if its something to do with drivers.
Robert83
Hi,

What kind of a connection do you have to the internet?

Is that linux box directly connected ?

Or is it connected to a WinXP (or some other WIndows) computer that has some kind of a internet connection?

You need to enter the default gateway and the DNS server in order to be able to view webpages and download stuff.

You can do this in console once your linux computer is up and running.

the first command is

CODE
route

it should show something like this
CODE
[root@demon root]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.10.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.10.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

as you can see my default gw (the computer with the shared internet connection is) 192.168.10.1.

so if you don't have this line, you can add it by typing

CODE
route add default gw 192.168.10.1 (this is example, you should use the ip adress of your gateway computer)

the DNS (name resolution = transform names such as www.google.com to ip adresses [xxx.yyy.zzz.www]
can be set under
/etc/resolv.conf

you can use vi to edit this file
CODE
cd /etc
vi resolv.conf

press i to modify stuff, then enter the nameserver 62.108.117.6 (you must use a different DNS server, just check what does your winxp (or other windows) computer use.
Once you are done editing press ESC , then type :w then ENTER, then type :q then type ENTER.

And it should work.

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.