Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bootup Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
gauravpatel
I'm a fairly new to the linux "scene" and after installing SuSE 8.1 Proffesional, things were going smoothly.
A few days passed, and I decided to change the resolution down from 1024x768 to 800x600. I restarted the X server and the changes were visible. I then decided to the resolution back.

Now everytime I try to boot up normally, it gets past the boot screen and goes into where I would normally login but the screen just goes black at that point.

When I try to boot from the safe settings, it boots normally until it tries to load the sound driver, then the computer just freezes and doesn't respond to anything.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you.
Jim
Two things, one have you ever been able to boot into failsafe before? The sound card problem might not be related.

Second, you can probably fix your problem by fixing your XF86Config file. You will to edit the Section "Screen" part of the file and change the resuolution settings for your defualt depth.

First how ever, we need to get you up and into an editor. Try failsafe again, and this time apended the line nosound and see if it will load. That or you can do an interactive start up, and not load the sound modules. If you can't get that to work there are two option, one, come back with more details and we will hepl you more. Or, something like Knoppix will alow you to get in and change your files without any trouble.
gauravpatel
I've never tried booting into failsafe before so I don't know.

I do have a version of DemoLinux that I could try and edit the XF86Config file.

Where is this file located?

Thank you for the help.
Much appreciated.
gauravpatel
Okay, I tried DemoLinux and it's not letting me access the harddrive with SuSE on it. I'm only using the icon I found on the desktop and using konquerer to view the files. How would I view them in Konsole?

Thanks in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.