Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ubernoob Needs Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
carlip
I have a lot of questions and i want to learn as much as i can about linux.
1. How do I un-install my old graphics driver and install the one from ATI's site? (I have a 9800 Pro.) I assume i need to start the command line, but idk how, and the RPM doesn't install due to dependancies and so forth.

2. How can i change the Icon in the panel, the "start button" icon, it might not seem like a big deal, but i hate that star.

Well its 3am and that's all i can remember right now... so if you can help that would be great. biggrin.gif
petterg
You should tell which distro you're running (readhat x.x, fedora, gentoo, suse, ....)
And which DE you use (KDE, GNOME, XPDE, ...)
Corey
When installing a new graphics driver, chances are, you will not have to remove the old one. By default, your system will configure for a generic driver such as vesa, which always exists on the system. Graphics cards developers like NVidia and ATi usually provide good documentation on their website for installing the graphics driver and configuring your system to use them. In the case of NVidia (the only one i'm familier with), installing NVidia's driver is as easy as downloading their install too, and then editing your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and replace the existing "nv" driver setting with "nvidia". I'm sure that ATi drivers aren't that much more complicated, but your best bet is to check their website and follow the instructions they give.
carlip
i'm using Mandrake 10 running KDE 3.2.... if that helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.