Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble Mounting Ntfs Drives
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
dougberg
Ok, forgive me if this is an easy solution, for I am new to Linux. I recently installed Slackware 9.1, And basically what I want to do is mount my hard drive(s) so that I am able to play my media in linux. Here is what I have set up:
/hda1 - my C drive, has XP installed on it
/hda5 - linux partition (Drive H in XP), mounted and runs fine.
/hdb1 - my D drive, has all my media on it.

Now, I have done tons of research, and found that I am supposed to add a couple lines to my fstab. I have added this:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs user,noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows ntfs user,noauto,ro 0 0
Spaced properly of course. Both drives are formatted ntfs. However, if I go into my /mnt/ directory there is nothing there. Any solutions? I just dont want to have to have 2 copys of all the songs I want to listen to... thanks in advance for your help!
Corey
First off, you need to change your fstab entries. Currently the way you have it entered it will try to mount both drives in the same place (think of it as trying to set two drives to C: in windows, obviously, it's not possible). So, i would suggest altering them to the following:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs user,noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/media ntfs user,noauto,ro 0 0

Now, while logged in as root user, you need to create the "mount point":

mkdir /mnt/winxp
mkdir /mnt/media

Now you should be able to mount the two:

mount /mnt/winxp
mount /mnt/media

There are two downfalls when dealing with NTFS in linux. First, you cannot write to them safely, so, everything on your WinXP and Media partitions cannot be altered in linux. (There are ways, but they have yet to be proven safe). The second thing is that you cannot allow users to mount and read NTFS partitions.

On my system, I have a shared drive that is FAT32 that i use to share between WindowsXP and Linux, FAT32 is readable/writable in linux and is able to be accessed by regular users. Perhaps you can boot into your windows drive, copy everything from your media drive over, format and initiate a FAT32 partition, then copy everything back over. If you choose to do this, you would replace "ntfs" with "vfat" for the fstype in your /etc/fstab file.
Jim
thats not true duende, you can have NTFS drives accessed by users. I have my NTFS drive with all my media auto mounted and I play all my mp3s as user.

Just remove the word noauto. That way it will be mounted when you start up so all users can use it. They still can't write (nobody should be) but you can read it. My mout command looks like this

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=000,users 0 0

So than you would want to add something like

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winxp ntfs umask=000,users 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/media ntfs umask=000,users 0 0

That should work for you, just make sure you make those directories.
viciousk
If you still want to convert one of your drives to FAT32 partition magic will do it for you without destroying the data.
Jim
Having a FAT32 drive is really helpful because its an easy way to move files back and forth between linux and windows or to work on a project file in both enviroments. But if your just streaming your media its not the biggest thing. I used to have a FAT32 drop drive for moving stuff but I don't anymore.
hughesjr
Corey said that the drive couldn't be mounted by users ... not that it couldn't be accessed by users (if noauto is used) smile.gif

Everything else looks good....
Jim
Sorry Corey, I got confused by the mount and read part.
dougberg
You guys rock, it worked! Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.