Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distro-tip Me!
Linuxhelp > In The Community > General Discussion
odinsa
I am a Windows-in-the-conversion-process user of Linux. That is, I have used Windows all my life, but I can't afford an upgrade, and I like Linux anyway!
I became aquainted with Linux through the old Red Hat 7.2 distro. Soon found out that it was outdated and that there were a LOT of alternative distros just waiting to be downloaded. After some research searching the net and my soul and my heart, I landed on Ark Linux - a fine European distro.

However, in my search I avoided the distros with text-based installations, even though I've never attempted to do one. I am not yet entirely comfortable with Linux-names and expressions, so some VITAL information about certain distros might have been lost on me! Therefore, I turn to you!

I am new to Linux, yes, but I'm not a complete computer-illiterate. I would prefer a distro without a time-consuming installation. If I get stuck I get very annoyed and reminded of the numerous times I've struggled with Windows. I am not, however, looking for a Win-clone - I've got Win98, that's more than enough! Also, I would like a distro that is up-to-date with applications, especially for multimedia, office and the internet. I do not expect to be developing anything for Linux in quite a while, so development-tools are not important to me.
Just to mention it, I've got an AMD Athlon, and I would like the distro to be free wink.gif

Please suggest anything that you think fits my 'requrements', minor or major distros. Go wild!

Thanx
OdinSA
Robert83
Hi,

Well if you want a distro with the latest kernel and a lot of new stuff then Mandrake 10 would be your choice :

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#586

you need to download the binary images, not the source ones [unless you want to do something with the source]

I use Fedora Core 1 , which is basicaly Red Hat linux, but newer, and it's stable with the latest updates, I've been using it for a month now [approx] and everything is working fine. I even use it at my workplace on 7 computers, and they are all working fine.

The link is : http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
pick a link from a mirror to download Fedora Core 1
after that you can use apt-get to install stuff, which is really easy, and not a pain in the $#@ smile.gif
for example
CODE
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade <--- this upgrades your distro to the latest version, I mean the packages...
apt-get install xine    <--- this install a program for you, in this example xine, a multimedia player for linux

in case you wan't to try out some Enterprise Linux Distros, I would reccomend Whitebox Linux, which feels like Red Hat linux , and is really easy to install, but has the advantages of a enterprise distro...

The Link : http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/download.html
you can download it from there.

All of the three distros are free, and updated on a regular bassis.

But you can also try some other distros, since we are all different, and we all have our special distro that we like the best , so if you can afford it , also try out :

Slackware
Gentoo
Debian [I haven't tried it yet ...but with the new installer, it's easier to install ...]
Please have a look at the distributions section of this site : http://www.linuxhelp.ca/distributions/

you should check them all out,... then , www.google.com linux_distro_name review ... and read about them, and once you think you found your potential favorite distro to be , download it, and check it out.

If you have any trouble with any linux distro in the future , please do not hesitate to return here, and ask , we'll be glad to help you out.

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
oh...

and if I may ask you :

please be so kind and post your questions in the Technical Support area or the Fedora Core [if it's Fedora Core related], or in the Hardware Support [if you are having problem getting some hardware work under your distro].

Thank you very much.

Sincerely
Robert B
Corey
I'm moving this thread to the new general discussion forum. Questions like these are quite technical discussion, and are geared more towards users opinions.

Thanks
odinsa
Sorry for messing with your system, Duende.
I thought my post would be qualified for the TIP section unsure.gif

Robert83, thanks for your suggestions!
I've briefly researched Mandrake before, but steered clear, primarily because it didn't look like it was free, and furthermore, it seemed to me that it aimed to be a painless transition from Windows to Linux, i.e. somewhat of a win-clone. I'll check it more thoroughly out now, though.

About Fedora, I noticed some scepticism in the Linux community concerning this distro. Red Hat's distributions are commercial, and now they promote a totally free alternative. Fedora is in the long run going to be joined with the Enterprise version, if I got it right, and some peolpe said they smelled a rat. This put me off, including that awful default layout on Fedora! Yuck! No offence... biggrin.gif

Whitebox Linux... I can't remember what made me give that a miss. I know I discarded it during my little research, but I'll have to give it another peek.

Slackware, Gentoo and Debian are all interesting. I didn't know they had made an installer for Debian, I thought it was still in the making. That makes Debian even more interesting! Thank you, Robert83!

I have worked out a list of interesting distros and one for my favourites while I was looking through all the posts on DistroWatch:
Interesting: ALT Linux, Ares Linux, BLAG Linux, Fedora, Gentoo, Knoppix, LBA-Linux (AKA SOT Linux), Lunar Linux, PLD Linux, Source Mage, SuSE Linux and NetBSD (is this really Linux?).

My favourites, that is the ones I think would suit me best: Ark Linux (my current choice), Debian, MEPIS Linux, Slackware and Yoper.

I was actually expecting a storm of replies on this topic. I know Linux users are quite passionate when it comes to 'their' distros. I can understand that, when you have to dig so deep to find the distribution perfect for you!
Which distros do you think deserves a shot here?
Corey
QUOTE (odinsa @ May 6 2004, 02:11 PM)
Sorry for messing with your system, Duende.
I thought my post would be qualified for the TIP section :unsure:

nah

a) it's not my system
b) it's a new section, don't worry about it :)
hughesjr
My opinion is generally to stay away from all but the Big distros for a workstation (ie, use Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, Fedora Core, Mandrake, SUSE, etc.)

I broke this rule, of course smile.gif, to use CentOS / WhiteBox EL as my servers....
lesio1974
AFAIGI (As Far As I Get It) Fedora seems to be a test field for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I mean, it is a fully stable and functional distribution. Red Hat is contributing a lot to the development and in return they will use portions of it in their commercial Enterprise Linux editions but Fedora itself will remain a separate, free distribution. So there doesn't seem to be any rat to smell :-)

Grzegorz L.
odinsa
Alright, so Fedora is OK, except for the layout.

What are the pros and cons of Whitebox and CentOS? Do you like them both for your desktop?
Jim
QUOTE (hughesjr @ May 6 2004, 06:20 PM)
My opinion is generally to stay away from all but the Big distros for a workstation (ie, use Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, Fedora Core, Mandrake, SUSE, etc.)

Maybe I just a little hazy on what "workstation" really means, but I am a little confused by this post. You say stay away from the "big distros" but that you say use Gentoo, Debian, Manrake, Fedora..... which are exactly who I would consider the big names.

Want to clarify a little for us?
odinsa
Actually, it says "all but the big distros"...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.