Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knoppix V3.4 Out
Linuxhelp > In The Community > News
Termina
It now comes with the 2.6 kernel (though 2.4 is default).

I'll update just exactly what cheatcode you need to use to be able to use the 2.6 kernel when their site gets back up. ;-_-

This new version of Knoppix includes KDE 3.2.2, OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 and Gimp 2.0.

Apparently it also has a much nicer installer, which should be intresting to see.

I downloaded it last night, and havn't gotten a chance to play around with it yet, but I'm probally going to write a review on it when I get home, after trying it out. (Wayyy too many RH based reviews here) biggrin.gif

Don't bother trying to go to knoppix.net to get the ISO, their servers are overloaded at the moment.

A link to the torrent can be found Here. You'll obviously want to pick up KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.torrent wink.gif
hughesjr
Hey,

I like debian based Linux workstations.... and I like Knoppix as a live CD. But personally, I would just install Debian Sarge or SID as the workstation instead of Knoppix on the hard drive, but that is just me smile.gif

Knoppix is easy to install ... when you get finished installing it to the hard drive, do you point to the standard Debian mirrors in /etc/apt/sources.list or point to a Knoppix update site?
Corey
I agree with Johnny on this one. I like Knoppix a lot, but only as a live cd. It was nice to have while in school to show it off to teachers and stuff to try to get them to switch. So far, it has worked out nicely.

As for instlaling on the hard drive, Debian is better to install because of the bloat factor. Installing knoppix onto a harddrive is good for the device detection, however, you end up with a bloated system of redundant apps for the most part. I like the speed and control that debian gives you with each and every install.

Whenever I installed Debian in the past, i would take teh default package selection from the install, and that's it. As i needed a program or package, I would install it individually rather then just doing a mass install.

However, for network-less machines, or dial-up connections, maybe knoppix is better? *shrugs*
Jim
Knoppix is a great tool to preview how your system is going to run on linux. Pop it in and you can get a feel for if its going to grab your NIC or what not. I really like it for doing group stuff to because I can go to there house and just take over thier computer (evil laugh).

But just my gut instinct is that it was designed to be a live CD so the install can't be as good as systems that were designed to be intalled. But who knows.
Termina
Eh, when it's great for us lazy people.

You have them point to the Debian mirrors. biggrin.gif

Agreed, Knoppix is bloated... but it's the CD I carry around with me to use as an emergancy disk when I'm helping my friends, or just to shows them and have them use a linux distro, to see if they'd like to install it.

I'm a bit devoted to it, since it's the first Distro I was able to use on my computer (due to hardware issues). biggrin.gif

And hell, if you get an old machine you want an OS on, and you can't find your pirated Windows2000 CD (and you don't have the time to setup a linux system) Knoppix is perfect (especially with Fluxbox). =)

By the way, when trying to boot up the 2.6.5 kernel, do this at the boot prompt (instead of just pressing enter): knoppix 26 noscsi

No scsi because of a bug that's part of 3.4 ATM. =/

Then you can use "knx2hd" or "knoppix-installer" to install knoppix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.