Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printer Sharing?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jim
So am sitting her working on my math homework and all the sudden my printer fires up and starts to print. I did nothing. So it starts printing some random notes from so class I am not taking. So I go into my print monitor and someone is printing off a word document on my printer. I have no idea how that happened. I didn't think I had my printer shared out and now I am worried about what else I have shared out. What is going on and how to a shut it down?
hughesjr
I would turn on iptables with a good ruleset (or in the case of mandrake 10, shorewall)

Just like with Windows, you are sharing everything if you aren't running a firewall....
----------------------
If you don't need to share anything, or make any incoming external connections, you can go to the Mandrake Control Center (I am doing this on mandrake 10) and pick the Security icon.

Then check the items you want to be able to connect to your PC from external sources ... (I usually allow ping, and if I need to ssh in, I'll check ssh).

Click OK and you have a good firewall. If it isn't installed, the system will install iptables and shorewall. (If you have your urpmi sources setup properly).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.