Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ftp Server Installer And Installation
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
polar
i want to install an ftp server for my comp.
what should i do?
polar
hughesjr
It is my personal opinion that all servers should be built on an enterprise linux box...if you are going to be doing it as a seperate machine. (If you are not going to put it on a seperate machine, just installing a safe FTP daemon on a current server will do).

If creating a seperate box for this function, I would recommend either CentOS 3.1 or WhiteBox EL as the server platform. Both are Distros built using RHEL AS 3 source RPMS ... they are fully functional distros with updates via either up2date or yum.

Reguardless of wether you install on a new box or use an existing server, if you are going to use FTP, I recommend the vsftpd daemon ... here are directions that will work for either WhiteBox EL or CentOS 3.1 (or RHEL 3)....and here is info for securing vsftpd.
------------------------------
For info concerning community Enterprise Linux distos, see this thread and the article I wrote for OSNEWS called Introduction to Enterprise Linux
-----------------------------
You say you want an FTP server ... but you don't really say what for.

Is this server going to require a login from off site? (logins are passed in clear text, which is bad)

Is there going to be uploading and downloading required (or only one)?

Do you need anonymous download (or upload) capabilities as well as individual login capabilities?

Do you have a firewall external to the server, if so, are you going to do active mode or passive mode FTP?
--------------------------
FTP is a huge security risk ... all logins are passed in clear text. Do all the clients who need to login have a Linux box (or a ssh/sftp windows clinet)...if so, SFTP via SSH is a much more secure solution.

BUT, I understand that FTP is sometimes required. If this is the case with you, I think vsftpd is the best ftp solution.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.