Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redhat 8 Server + Workstations
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
deity_me
Hi
I've got 4 computers here and i would like to setup a Linux server + workstations just like what you would find in a linux computer lab at school. Log on to any computer and all your files and settings are there.

i'm going to use one of those computers as a server and the other 3 as work stations
but i dont have that many Ethernet cards - so i have to connect them using a router.

I'm gonna try to do this using RedHat 8.

Any instructions on how to do this?
hughesjr
um ...

A router (or a hub, or a switch) requires that each computer has an ethernet card...
Lukka
Correct.

A workstation, a ethernet card.

a ethernet card is cheap, no more than 5$ (more or less)
Jim
I think what he ment was he doesn't have four cards on the server to plug each one in.

Your going to want to make sure that you have plenty of hard drive space on the server to store all the files, I don't know what your talking about storing but thats gonna be your main concern.
deity_me
each computer has 1 ethernet card
i dont have enough PCI slots on the server computer to put in another 3 ethernet cards
i also have 20GB HDD on the server computer - that should be enough to experiment with running a linux network.

so any pointers on how to go about doing this?
hughesjr
A small 10/100 hub and 4 regular ethernet cables is all that is required.

If you assign manual IP addresses, make sure each machine is on the same network (ie, give the server the IP address 192.168.0.1, and the workstations 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. The subnet mask for each would be 255.255.255.0). Or you could setup the server as a DHCP server.

If they are all turned on and hooked to the hub, they can talk to each other.
---------------------------
If you are going to hook them up to the internet as well, then the server (192.168.0.1) should be the default gateway that is set for each PC (except the server itself ... it's default gateway should be blank)
deity_me
So i set up each workstation normally as if they were a stand alone desktop?

I'm trying as hard as i can to explain what i want to do with these computers.
Have any of you ever been to a Linux computer lab in school or something?
Know how they have like 30 or something computers in one room and no matter which computer you log into, your files are always there and so are the settings, bookmarks etc. And I highly doubt that the admin went to each computer and made an account for each user. Make the user once and then s/he can log onto any of the computers there. You guys know what i'm talking about? Thats what i'm trying to do with my computers but on a much smaller scale. With only 3 workstations.
hughesjr
You can do that in several ways .... one is to open a terminal on the server from each workstation ... you actaully are just opening a window to execute items on the server.

Another is to have a shared home directory on the server for each user (and the following shared files in /etc: shadow, shadow-, passwd, passwd-, group, group-, gshadow, gshadow- for each computer). You can add users from any computer and thye work on all computers.

You can also setup NIS logins, with just shared home directories.

The shared home directory (and the following shared files in /etc: shadow, shadow-, passwd, passwd-, group, group-, gshadow, gshadow- for each computer) is most likely how it is done in the lab environment. (Or maybe NIS and shared homes).

One thing I want to make sure to point out is that each computer would need to have the same programs (with the same versions) installed for either the shared homes (and etc files) or NIS solution (with shared home) to work.

NIS is very insecure, so I don't recommend it. (Everything happens in clear text)

The best fairly secure method is probably the shared home directory (and the following shared files in /etc: shadow, shadow-, passwd, passwd-, group, group-, gshadow, gshadow- for each computer) method.

This thread tells you how to do it....
deity_me
thanks dude
i'm gonna try that tomorrow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.