Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dynamic Dns
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Termina
Ah, I finnally bought a domain name some time ago. http://www.UnhandledExceptions.com

Nifty, huh? smile.gif

I went with www.godaddy.com, because... well they were cheap. smile.gif

Now I'm faced with a problem. They do not have Dynamic DNS. So I'm forced to use forwarding.

So I'm forced to go with either having to have masking enabled all the time (Which I do not like...) or just have it forward to a free DynDNS name.

Both are, IMO, unacceptable. The company has been uncooperative, and refuses to help me find a solution to my problem.

Solution? I'm hoping that I can host my own DNS (and on the webserver it's for, no less). happy.gif

My question is... is that possible? Since I've already registered the domain name, and all. I've looked around, and it seems that any other solution would cost me $20-$30 a year.

How would I be able to set up DynamicDNS?

I've read http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html (which answers alot of my questions, but doesn't seem to mention DymaicDNS. But maybe I missed it?)
chrisw
godaddy sucks as far as im concerned....i had a friend i went to school with was opening his own business and decided to use them for hosting...well his site got cracked into..and the people at godaddy did absolutely nothing to help him...didnt bother to look at log files....and shut his account down without providing any help what so ever...they just assumed it was him doing the things that was apparently going on with his site and didnt provide support or anything....i dont think that they helped with switching hosting providers...thats how crappy and shitty they are...

so if i was you i would leave godaddy before anything else bad happens to you
hughesjr

They will tell you where to point your DNS servers to ... change the dns records at godaddy.com to point to the proper nameservers at zoneedit and add your records at zone edit.

then use one of the clients for Unix or Windows to detect your IP and keep zoneedit updated.

I have been using this for hughesjr.com for more than 2 years with no major problems...
Termina
Wow, thank you very much. smile.gif

Yes, I really wish I had picked another register now. ;-_-

hughesjr, what are you planning on doing with your site? happy.gif
hughesjr
it doesn't make any difference who registers your domain name .... they are not hosting your site.

If someone is breaking into your site, it doesn't matter who registered the name.

IF they were also hosting his site, then it would matter. Termina just registered the domain with godaddy ... I don't think he is also hosting the site there.

I agree ... I wouldn't host my site with them, but they are cheep to register domains.
hughesjr
BTW ... if you don't have a static IP, you can't host your own DNS. The DNS servers listed on your domain record must be static....
hughesjr
I don't do anything with my site ... it is just there so I can provide things for for people to download. I bought the domain so i can have a permanent e-mail address.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.