Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kppp Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
plzhelpmenow
I was trying to get on the internet using knoppix. I put all the information e.g. phone number, login name and password etc.. in the modem dialer. kppp loaded and just after logging on after dialing and authentication, the modem stops and i am disconnected. It had an error message that went something like:

kppp cannot access the following log files:
/var/log/syslog.ppp
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

I tried to open these files, but they were all read-only (which i think might be the problem), and i can't change it so that it isn't. Can someone help me and tell me what to do so that i can get on the internet?

Thanks. I have just started using linux.
Jim
Your using a live Knoppix version? If you are thats probably the problem. The fact that they are read only to the user doesn't mean that the program can't write to them. Thats one of linux's ways of protecting it self. You are going to have to find a way to dissable logging.

I'll work on trying to figuer that out, does anybody else know?
Termina
Did you try running this (I assume it's a command line program) as root? Try "sudo programname" or just "su" to switch to user root.

If it still gives you problems, just "chmod -R 777 /var/log"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.