Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multiple Sounds
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
BloodKiller
Hi, i'm looking for a program, or sound driver that can run 2 or more sound programs together!
Like in windows...
i run halflife and winamp together!
is thins posible for linux 2?
I'm using slackware 8.1 and i have a esssolo1 audiodrive soundcard...
iff posible!
Tks
smile.gif
Corey
Yes, this is certainly possible using a sound server. There are a few sound servers available for Linux, but mostly rely on what Window Manager (or Desktop Environment) that you use. For example, if you are using the KDE desktop, you can run aRts which will take all sound outputted to it, and make it into one stream and send that to your sound device. I believe Gnome uses "Esound" for the same effect.

So, for example, if you wanted to play Quake3 and listen to MP3's at the same time, you can run XMMS, and if there is a sound server running, it will output to that. Then you need to start Quake3 using the aRts dsp wrapper by issuing the command:

artsdsp -m quake3

Note: In most of my experiences, artsdsp causes a slight delay in sound occurance, and when you actually hear it (somewhere between 0.1 seconds to 0.5 seconds. While under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be an issue, this could get annoying in a game like Quake3. However, I have recently installed Gentoo Linux, and I have no lag at all using the DSP wrapper for aRts, so maybe KDE has improved the code for it.

You should be able to use aRts in other window managers like Blackbox and Window Maker as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.