Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caching Locally As Opposed To Over Network
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
lucidthoughts
Greetings,
I am working on a linux network at a hospital. We have NIS and NFS setup and all the users home directories are stored on the main server. It is my understanding the linux uses the home directory for caching files and what not. It appears as though each computer is caching over the network on the main server. Is it possible to set it up someway such that instead of storing the files on the main server, the files are cached locally on each individual computer?
Thank you for any help.
hughesjr
What you want to do is possible ... BUT, would you want to do it?

One of the advantages of having a centrally located home directory is so no matter where you log on, you have the same files available. If you split out the files to different machines, when a person logs on to machine a, he will have different things than on machine b ... probably not what you want.

It is possible, with certian applications, to store items in directories other than the users home directory ... and if a particular user ALWAYS uses the same computer, you might do something to shift that user's files to that computer.
lucidthoughts
QUOTE (hughesjr @ Apr 16 2004, 05:49 PM)
What you want to do is possible ... BUT, would you want to do it?

One of the advantages of having a centrally located home directory is so no matter where you log on, you have the same files available. If you split out the files to different machines, when a person logs on to machine a, he will have different things than on machine b ... probably not what you want.

It is possible, with certian applications, to store items in directories other than the users home directory ... and if a particular user ALWAYS uses the same computer, you might do something to shift that user's files to that computer.

thanks for the response, maybe i was not quite clear what i meant. we definitely want to keep the home directories stored on the main server, but it seems as though when linux itself and any other application need to cache files, they are caching to the home directories on the server, we would like to have any caching take place locally while keeping the home directories on the main server. is this possible or would the cache directory have to be set for each individual application or process?
thanks!
hughesjr
I would think that most programs use /tmp for cacheing. Some use .xxxxx files in the user's home directory.

For the specific applications that use the home directory, you would have to look at each application and see if there is a way to set a environment variable to use a different directory...it would be (like the .xxxxxx) different for each application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.