Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Browser?
Linuxhelp > In The Community > Polls
Joey
Just curious as to what browser people are using.
hughesjr
I like FireFox ...
Jim
Firefox is slick. I really like it. I would use it on my mac to but it loads really slow. And when I am in windows every now and than I use it there to. I can't wait till the finish working the last few bugs out of it and get to 1.0. Although I wish they would stop changing the name at each stage.
Corey
I voted for Konquerer because it's the one I use the most, but, whenever I'm on a Windows system, or someone elses Linux system, I use firefox, it's nice, quick, and easy to use.
chrisw
since i do web development i have to pretty much use a variety
of browsers to test for compatiblity of the sites i design...
and see how they look and all...but in my everyday work
i use netscape...moving to mozilla soon...but on my
linux box...since i dont use gui...its all lynx for me....
hughesjr
chrisw .... if you have svgalibs installed, try links -g
hughesjr
For the non-gui crowd, the version of links that comes with most distros doesn't support svgalib mode ... but this one does:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twi...wibright/links/

I use this on my labtop to web browse without X .... it is pretty good. Especially for older machines where processor speed and memory are a problem.
Corey
And if you really want something nice, install directfb and run links with the directfb driver. I have a screenshot home on my PC, i'll post it when i get home. it's quite pretty.
Termina
I prefer firefox above all else. happy.gif

Unlike IE or Mozilla, I don't feel the need to wash my hands after using it. Konquer is good for linux, I guess, but since I use both Linux and windows, I prefer to use one browser for each.
lesio1974
Firefox is my favourite, even though the font handling is a mess, at least on my PC.

Konqueror would be great if it blocked the pop-ups. Or maybe it does and I just do not know how to turn it on?

Grzegorz L.
dlab
You can set Konqueror up to block (most) popups.

Go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > On the left menu, click on Java & Javascript (Should be the 6th one down). Click on the "JavaScript" tab and there should be a group named "Global JavaScript Policies". There sould be a "Open new windows:" item with 4 radio objects (round things) next to it. All of the way to the right there is a radio labeled "Smart", click on the box on the immediate left to it and this should work for most Javascript popup ads.

Also, Konqueror is compliant with Netscape plugins. This means you should search the net for a popup ad filter for Netscape under Linux. Once you have downloaded and installed the Netscape plugin, open up Konqueror and go to Settings > Configure Konqueror and in the menu on your left, click on Plugins (2nd from the bottom with a Konqueror icon) and click on the "Scan for New Plugins" button and it should install the plugin from there.
wookmaster
QUOTE (chrisw @ Apr 15 2004, 11:13 AM)
since i do web development i have to pretty much use a variety
of browsers to test for compatiblity of the sites i design...
and see how they look and all...but in my everyday work
i use netscape...moving to mozilla soon...but on my
linux box...since i dont use gui...its all lynx for me....

I sincerely appreciate that I cant stand when I go to a site and its IE only
NeilE
Nobody has said a word about 'Dillo'.
Only the smallest and fastest out there.

Cheers.
wookmaster
QUOTE (NeilE @ Jun 27 2004, 12:11 PM)
Nobody has said a word about 'Dillo'.
Only the smallest and fastest out there.

Cheers.

thats because ive never heard of it. I just found their site on google and am downloading now to try it out. 350K is pretty small.
wookmaster
Its definately fast but it doesnt display my website right where mozilla, firefox, IE, Konquerer and everything else does. If they can fix that problem I would definately use it cause of the speed.
NeilE
You can bet they are working on it.
Why can't I vote in this poll?
My vote would put Opera equal with Firefox.

Cheers.
beltucadros
i do web development (a little) the last site i did hated IE therefor i loved it but since so many people use IE i had to be nice and fix it. sad.gif i was sad. i mostly get my sites to work best on netscape/mozilla browsers
DS2K3
Web developers who design for IE only are not fit to call themselves web developers. They are a disgrace to the rest of us...

The developer tools in Mozilla.Firefox are very nice, the JS debugger is infinitely better than the thing IE comes with. Not to metnion the CSS support in Gecko-based browsers (Mozilla, Firefox, possibly Konqueror) which is a lot better than IE. In my opinion, the hover psuedo element should be applicable to everything, not just links.

[Sighs and hopes web-development forum will be back online soon]

D
Jim
Well the problem is that Mircosoft has just giving a giant finger to w3 and said to hell with your standards, we are going to make it render how ever we want. I agree, web developers that only develope for IE should be dragged into the street and elcto-shocked. There is nothing I hate more then getting to a sight in Safari of Firefox and not have work at all.

Firefox is hands down one of the most standards compliant browsers ever built, they have tried really hard to make the browser render they way w3 has said it should. Ontop of that, its one of the most user friendly, and feature packed browsers out there. Couple that with being able to avoid the security holes in IE and you have one hell of a browser.

Other than Safari on a mac, I don't see why you would want to use any other browser but Firefox.
DS2K3
Well, if Microsoft dnt release anny mroe standalone versions of IE (there are rumours they wont) then hopefully people will move to Frefox when IE becomes old and even less compliant

D
Jim
The reason why they aren't releasing any more version of IE is because they are totally embeding it into windows, which will have the opposite effect of what you are predicting. The windows UI and the internet browser are going to become completely infused. People will no longer use "IE" to browse the web, they will just use windows. Its going to suck for the browser market, if Firefox wants to have any hope of surviving Longhorn, it needs to pick up its market share now and keep the loyal fans. That, or it will have to take windows to court.

IE isn't going to become old and outdated, windows isn't abonding thier browser technology, they aren't stupid, you don't become the compony they are by making stupid buisness moves, you leave that to IBM.
beltucadros
The one thing i hate most about IE is vbscript. I think there need to be more browsers that support it, it would be a good way to clench a bit of the market. I am sure there are other IE only things but i know of a few sites which use vbscript which means i cant visit them. I am not sure why VBscript is in use but it is a royal PITA, and a major security risk but people insist on it GARRRR.
Geko based browsers for ever
g33k
I use Opera and Flock..
Did u guys try Flock ??
BridgitJohnson
QUOTE (Jim @ Apr 14 2004, 06:11 PM) *
Firefox is slick. I really like it. I would use it on my mac to but it loads really slow. And when I am in windows every now and than I use it there to. I can't wait till the finish working the last few bugs out of it and get to 1.0. Although I wish they would stop changing the name at each stage.

Firefox has always been my first option for web browsing. But it keep slowing down due to my low memory of my computer. So Opera is definitely the second choice for browsing the net. Safari is also pretty good, especially for its fast loading time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.