Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Email Server
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
andy1974
i would like to get a email server up and running on my fedora box as well.....but i dont know how (go figure lol....).....question i have my severs domain name "jacob" so if i set up a email server will that that give me a internet email address?? ie User@jacob.com ?????
wink.gif blink.gif huh.gif
chrisw
no that wouldnt give you a domain of jacob.com
im in the process of completing my mail server guide....
should be completed tommorrow sometime....once i
complete it..it will be posted on the site
hughesjr
That is good news chris ... you are doing sendmail right?

If so, I might also do a PostFix on WhiteBox one...I haven't installed setup a Linux Mailserver in a while, and I think I want to refresh my memory.

I want to wait until you get finished though, and I 'll use your guide as a reference, because a lot of the basic stuff will probably be the same.
chrisw
ya im doing a sendmail guide, but actually the following guide, but i think im going to break
it down into sections/parts so it doesnt get to lengthy.

sendmail-with-auth+imaps+mailscanner+f-prot(virus scanning)+spamassassin

but i figured i would just take it a section at a time:
hughesjr
chris ... I think I am going to use sendmail + mailscanner + spamassassin + clamav on WhiteboxEL as an SMTP gateway for an MS exchange server....

I did the install on a test machine. I have the following clamav rpms for WhiteBox Enterprise Linux if anyone needs them:

clamav-0.70-1.i386.rpm
clamav-milter-0.70-1.i386.rpm
clamav-devel-0.70-1.i386.rpm
(I recompiled them because the glibc and other libraries are different than RedHat 9....so I didn't trust the downloadable rpms)
--------------------------------
I am not going to list the entire process ... but for users who are installing on RHEL / WhiteBox / CentOS / TaoLinux ... I was able to use the included spamassassin and sendmail rpms from redhat in the distro.
I compiled the clamav from the source RPM from here (I had to install sendmail-devel):

http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat/1/clamav/

(the command was rpmbuild --rebuild clamav-0.70-1.src.rpm, when finished the 3 files were in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386)
I installed (built) the MailScanner from here:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner...downloads.shtml

I installed the current stable RPM version {labeled Version 4.29.7-1 for RedHat Linux (and other RPM-based Linux distributions) on the website} by extracting it and running ./install.sh inside the extracted directory (MailScanner-4.29.7-1). There was an error and I had to run ./Update-MakeMaker.sh from the install directory...then reran ./install.sh, the install was straight forward. This rebuilt any required RPMS to install the required perl modules and MailScanner.
I followed the directions here (and the notes inside the consfig file) to configure the /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf file.
I installed all 3 clamav files and used these directions to enable the ClamAVModule.
I had to do this to sendmail and MailScanner:

chkconfig --del sendmail
/etc/init.d/sendmail stop

chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
chkconfig --level 016 MailScanner off

Inside the MailScanner.conf, i had to change the line Monitors for ClamAV Updates = to this:

Monitors for ClamAV Updates = /var/lib/clamav/*.cvd
I also had to setup the sendmail.cf file for the domain in question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.