Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alsa Sound Problem
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Sage_Of_Sloth
I am new to linux, and I recently installed collegelinux2.5 on my computer (k7sem elitegroup motherboard w/ onboard sis7018 soundcard), which went well. When I installed, there were some messages about the sound module before the automatic volume configuration. On the first bootup the sound worked fine, but as soon as I rebooted, the startup messages had an error that said something like "device on irq 5 not installed or busy" and several errors when trying to load the alsa sound modules. I checked on my windows patitions, and my sound card is on irq 5. I have skimmed through a few howto's at tldp, but didn't find anything that i could use.

any help would be appreciated.-thanks

dmesg gives the following info:
Linux version 2.4.23 (root@midas) (gcc version 3.3.2) #6 Sat Nov 29 22:47:03 PST 2003

Trident 4DWave PCI soundcard not found or device busy
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:01.4

biggrin.gif I found that i need to login as root and run "modprobe trident" every time for sound to work. Is there a better way to do this?
Hemant
Have you tried...to configure your sound card using command
CODE
# sndconfig

if not then give it a try..As you sound card works..after doing modprobe...so sndconfig should detect your sound card and configure..it..without problems...
Sage_Of_Sloth
I just tried it, but got the message "-bash: sndconfig: command not found"
Robert83
Hi,

you could check your

/etc/modules.conf [or modprobe.conf] (sorry I'm writing from a XP machine)

and see if you sound card has a alias there for the trident module.

Sincerely
Robert B
Hemant
try...
# /sbin/sndconfig

or else what is the output of command.

# whereis sndconfig
Sage_Of_Sloth
Thanks for the help. sndconfig wasn't on my system, but i ran alsaconf and saw that the errors pointed to "snd-trident." Sure enough, /etc/modules.conf referred to my soundcard as "snd-trident" instead of "trident" as it should have. Linux still gets errors on startup trying to load "snd-trident," but the sound works great. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.