Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cannot Give /mnt/windows 777 Permisions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
atapi103
I cannot seem to mount my windows partition with 777 permisions, it is always 755. I need read write for everyone because my mother's computer access file shares inside the windows partition.

Inside fstab I have the following

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat,umask=000 0 0

I was told umask=000 is equivalent to 777 on chmod.

However su root, and trying to chmod 777 recursively on the /mnt/windows fails, Operation not permited. Even login in as root and trying to change permisions fasils.

I think the problem lays inside fstab but I dont know what to do in order to have rwx-rwx-rwx on my entire /mnt/windows partition

How would I go abouts fixing this?

I am using Fedora Core 1
Jim
Well if your windows is NTFS you can't write. Linux hasn't gotten there yet. It can read, but writing is not stable. So no matter what you do with permisions, it isn't going to let you write to you NTFS drives and I would strongly advise not trying either.
atapi103
It is not on ntfs, my windows partition is fat32
hughesjr
You don't have enough columns in your FSTAB entry ... vfat is a seperate column from the permissions (you have them together)...

unmount the partition ... then do:

chmod -R 777 /mnt/windows

then remount with a umask=000 (you might also try umask=0000)

for your fstab, I would try this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,nosuid,dev,exec,auto,user,async,umask=0000 0 0
wonks
you can try adding this line to your /etc/fstab file, it works for me,

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0

to mount, just issue: mount /mnt/windows

hope it helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.