Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dns?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Termina
Does it cost anything to register a domain name, or just host it?

If I understand it correctly, you can purchase domain names from companies (I assume they register with the owners of .com, .net, etc.), and they host it with DNS.

Does it cost anything to register a domain name from the owners of .com (or the others)? If not, how could I do this?

I'm hoping to just host the DNS myself (since if my computer is down, so will my website... and I won't need the domain name then, eh? biggrin.gif)

Does linux come with software that allows you to do this? Or do you have to do this yourself.

*coughs* Sorry for the stupid quetion. ;-_-
chrisw
--Does it cost anything to register a domain name, or just host it?

depends on who you get your domain through...

--If I understand it correctly, you can purchase domain names from companies (I assume they register with the owners of .com, .net, etc.), and they host it with DNS.

yes that is correct

Does it cost anything to register a domain name from the owners of .com (or the others)? If not, how could I do this?

price varies, try going to netsol.com / mydomain.com / register.com

I'm hoping to just host the DNS myself (since if my computer is down, so will my website... and I won't need the domain name then, eh? )

i wouldnt bother running a dns server

Does linux come with software that allows you to do this? Or do you have to do this yourself.

yes linux comes with the necessary software to do this....i would just worry about the webserver part and not dns....

*coughs* Sorry for the stupid quetion. ;-_
hughesjr
If you have a static IP address, you can host your own DNS at that address. If you have a dynamic DNS, you will need to host it somewhere else that supports Dynamic DNS ...

You can buy a domain name for fairly cheep at GoDaddy.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.