Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Root User & Graphical Environment
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
gjhicks
Hello,

I am another "new to linux" person. I am using Mandrake 9.0 and (generally) Gnome.

I have read in many places that the 'root' user should not use a graphical environment. I am happy to follow this advice but Mandrake keeps using a graphical environment when I log in as 'root'. The annoying thing is the message warning that this is not a good idea but only offering 'continue' or 'logout' as options - why not a 'login in terminal mode option'? Anyway, can anyone help with how to set up Mandrake (or is it Gnome?) to use a terminal for 'root' and graphical for the other users?

Another (probably even more silly) question involves Jed. My system 'remove programs' utility says that the Jed editor (plus its associated files) are able to be removed. However, I can't find them anywhere on the disk! I have tried finding them with the Gnome 'file search' and at a prompt with 'locate'. Any ideas?

Lastly, am I right in saying that, presuming I find this editor, it should be in the path to execute?

Thanks,

Geoff.
Robert83
Hi,

Well I think that it's NOT true that the root user should not use the Graphical Environment, it's also true that you CANOT do everything in GUI mode, some changes just need to be done in console. The only thing that I would reccomend is, never login as root when you don't need to, it's just a bit risky ,since in this mode you can do real damage to the system...as for that root non gui mode, and other use gui mode, I don't know how to do that thing,but I'll will have a look ...maybe I can find something.

The other thing about jad,
you can quickly find out if it's installed
by typing in the following command in a terminal window

rpm -q jad [this will show jad version number if it's installed, or if it was installed using a rpm package, it won't show you jad if you installed it from source]

and if you would like to remove it [this can be done only if you're root]
rpm -e jad-name-reported-back-by-rpm-q-jad

Sincerely
Robert B
Jim
I wouldn't worry so much about not going into root in graphical mode. I think people say that just so its more difficult to do things in root so your not as likely to screw something up. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing wile you are in root you should be fine.

Don't worry about forcing your mandrake to log root in at the command line, its not worth the effort. Just be careful, thats your best bet. Another good thing is to keep back ups of key files like XF86Config, lilo.conf, fstab, inittab and others that way if something happens to them you can just put your back ups in place and your ready to rock again.
Davi
ye i dont see what the big fuss is about logging in as r00t, as long as your careful and you pay attention to what your doing you'll be fine

p.s you can login as root through terminal by typing the following command:

su root

(just incase any of you readers out there didnt know)

smile.gif
hughesjr
The reason not to login as root doesn't have anything to do with GUI.

The reason not to login as root is that you can easily break your system...and that holds true for GUI and Console mode.

One of the most hosed up thing about windows is that most people at home have administrator access when the open up a virus/worm infested e-mail and it totally screws up their system.

One of the best things about linux is that a normal user is not normally root.

I always have a root terminal window open in my GUI as another person ... just open a terminal window and after you see the prompt, type this command:

su - root

also, as another user, if you open Mandrake Control Center, it lets you enter the root password.

If you are careful, you can login as root, but it isn't really required.
gjhicks
Thanks for the series of helpful replies.

I guess the upshot is, log in as a 'normal' user with a gui and then just use a terminal window to log in as root (but only as and when actually required).

Thanks again.
hughesjr
As far as jed is concerned ... the executeable is jed

Jed is on the CDs ... mandrake no longer includes the 9.0 x86 RPMS branch in their mirrors ... but I found my Mandrake 9.0 CDs:

In your CD's ... look at the CD-2 .... in the directory:

/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2

The packages I have on Mandrake 9.0 CD is:

jed-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm
jed-common-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm
jed-xjed-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm

To see if you already have it installed, do:

rpm -q jed

To install, use the command:

urpmi jed

if you don't have urpmi installed, use the command (with Mandrake 9.0 CD-2 mounted):

[/b]cd /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2
rpm -Uvh jed-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm jed-common-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm jed-xjed-B0.99.15-2mdk.i586.rpm[/b]

(all commands are as root in a terminal)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.