Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Get Sound To Work.
Linuxhelp > Support > Hardware Support
Tecno88
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the Linux world and decided to try Mandrake Linux 10 on my HP N5430 laptop. To my surprise I was able to get it running fairly easily and have even installed software such as OpenOffice without any issues.

However, I can not get my sound card to work! huh.gif From what I have read, the correct driver to use is the maestro3. I have tried both maestro3 and snd-maestro3; neither one outputs sound. I have checked all of the volume controls and they are all set as high as possible. What could I have done wrong?

Many thanks!

Edit: Silly me I forgot to say what sound card my laptop has. It is an ESS ES1988Allegro-1
Robert83
Hi

check you're /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf

what is the alias for you're sound card?

once found try

a modprobe sound_card_module_here

also you should check you're /var/log/messages for any errors regarding you're sound card

Sincerely
Robert B
Tecno88
QUOTE (Robert83 @ Mar 31 2004, 03:56 PM)
Hi

check you're /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf

what is the alias for you're sound card?

once found try

a modprobe sound_card_module_here

also you should check you're /var/log/messages for any errors regarding you're sound card

Sincerely
Robert B

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Ok, my modprobe.conf file is showing the following:

alias sound-slot-1 snd-maestro3
alias eth0 tulip
alias sound-slot-0 snd-maestro3
install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe imm; /sbin/modprobe ppa; /bin/true
install snd-ens1370 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-ens1370 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install snd-es1968 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-es1968 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install snd-maestro3 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-maestro3 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe usb-ohci; /bin/true
remove snd-ens1370 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-ens1370
remove snd-es1968 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-es1968
remove snd-maestro3 { /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove snd-maestro3

I opened a terminal and logged in as root and did the following command:

modprobe sound-slot-1 snd-maestro3

also tried:

modprobe sound-slot-0 snd-maestro3

Upon hitting return on both commands, I get no error nor confirmation that any action took place.

I put in an audio CD, once again verifed all volume controls were set to the highest levels; no sound. sad.gif

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
Robert83
Hi,

only do a modprobe snd-maestro3

and after that playing some sound,music.

Sincerely
Robert B
Tecno88
QUOTE (Robert83 @ Mar 31 2004, 04:57 PM)
Hi,

only do a modprobe  snd-maestro3

and after that playing some sound,music.

Sincerely
Robert B

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Did as you instructed, still do not get any audio. sad.gif

One thing I have noticed that seems odd to me, is when the cd player launches, the sound volume control is always set to the lowest level and I have to manually raise the bar. unsure.gif
Robert83
Hi,

I've looked into this thing further and found out, that Opensound should run just fine with the ESS Alegro, on a 2.4.x kernel [probably 2.6.x also].

www.opensound.com

I recomend that you first have a look at the site, and then download...

ftp://www.se.opensound.com/pub/oss/linux/...inux-v2x.tar.gz this file

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
Hi,

Once you've downloaded the file to [for EXAMPLE ONLY!] /home/OSSdriver

1. cd /home/OSSdriver
2. tar -zxvf oss398e-linux-v2x.tar.gz
3. ./oss-install

let's hope it works smile.gif

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.