Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Glenn
OK I have linux up and running on my Laptop (Mandrake 9.2) I have now tried 4 different versions of Linux on my desktop computer and none will run with my Nvidia nforce2 chipset or my GforceFX video card......How do I get rid of the bootloader so the system goes back to just booting to XP?

Seems for now I will only get to play with Linux on my laptop
Hemant
Just use windows boot disk and enter command...
fdisk mbr
Jim
have you ever installed the packages for the NVIDIA chip set? There is no linux distro that I know of that comes ready with it but they can all be patched. Before you abandon it let me help you. I am running a NVIDIA system with integrated everything (including dual head graphics) my system works like crap untill I patch the kernel.

We can get you up and running, just let us know what your using.
Glenn
MSI Nforce2 MB; GforceFX 2600 video AMD 3000+ CPU, Sony SDM-X82 monitor.... When I load mandrake 9.2 I get all the way to configure screen... It sees my network card but can't initialize or use it, It sees my videocard as a gforce 4 when I set up video on test it gives a blue screen and eventually reboots. I am brand new to this and not sure how to patch the kernel even if it would load my network card (built in to MB)
Jim
Ya, I compleatly understand what your problem is and why its confusing, I had to go through all of this the first time I installed Red Hat. Nothing worked on my system till I got the right stuff patched in. Do this. Go to a command promt and type in
uname -r

And post what the result is. That is your kernel version. It should look something like 2.4.6-7mdk, but your numbers will be different. Just post what ever comes out.

The kernel is the heart and core of your linux system. Its the engine that drives all the other aplications and your computer as a whole. We are going to install your NVIDIA drivers to your system but they are very specific to the kernel version you have running so I need to know what it is. Post that and I will write you a step by step to install the drivers you need.
Robert83
Hi,

your problem might be that you need the video card drivers...since FX is pretty new .

Goto www.nvidia.com
download this driver http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-5336-pkg1.run

once done, and it's on the laptop ... write it to a cd [since it's 6.5MB aprox]

once the cd is in the laptop...

mount /dev/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
[or cd cdrom]
cp NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run /home/NVIDIA-Driver-pkg1.run
cd /home
chmod 755 NVIDIA-Driver-pkg1.run
./NVIDIA-Driver-pkg1.run

[if it asks for a kernel source, then you'll need to get the same kernel source as you're kernel version : check the kernel version with uname -r ]

If everything went fine with the NVIDIA driver installation, then goto /etc/X11/XF86Config

and search for the Graphics device section [or something similar] , for a line like

Driver = nv [or vesa]
and change it to
Driver = nvidia

also make sure that in the modules section there are the following entries :

Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
SubSection "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"

Once done , type startx , and let's hope it starts up this time...

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.