Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whitebox + Bridge-utils
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Robert83
Hi,

So as you know I've decided on changing the servers to Whitebox , now the problem is that I'm using bridge utils, to create a bridge from the two ethernet cards inside the computer. I was just curious , is this bridge utils compatbile with Whitebox [I've been on their site, at sourceforge, still 0.8 version , and it says RH8], or is this feature already built into the enterprise linux kernel ?

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
Hi,

I'm also planing on making a Samba Time Server , so that everyone in my LAN will have the same time,

I've read that by adding the line :

time service = yes [this way it advertises itself, but what good is this? WinXP can detect it automaticaly?]
time server = yes

I think after settting this up I will need to manualy delete the time server entries in WinXP , and then add my own time server ip adress , and this will hopefully fix my time problems [that anyoing 1 minute here + , 1 minute there - problem ]

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
I use a windows 2K domain controller and it automatically syncs the time .... but what you are doing should work for Win2k/WinXP clients...won't work for the Win98/ME clients.

Which Sourceforge Project are you using for bridging tools ....
Robert83
Hi

I use the one from here ...

http://bridge.sourceforge.net/download.html

So it's either I need a 3rd party tool to do the job for Win98/ME clients , or I create windows 2k domain controller [hmmmm], as you know I've got 3 workgroups, how can I sync time for all of them from only one windows 2k domain controller ?

The route to the domain controller would be
192.168.0.x --> 192.168.10.2 [NAT/PROXY] --> Win2KDomain Controller [192.168.10.3]
192.168.1.x --> 192.168.10.2 [NAT/PROXY] --> Win2KDomain Controller [192.168.10.3]
192.168.2.x --> 192.168.10.2 [NAT/PROXY] --> Win2KDomain Controller [192.168.10.3]

but I would need to alter my iptables for the NAT , but how?

and the above mentioned route is just my idea, if you got a better one, do tell me smile.gif

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
oh

I need a Windows 2000 Server edition to be able to use that domain controller service...

but I have no idea how do I make Win98,WinXP,Win2000 computer to join that domain, and still remain seperated...[so the 3 groups won't see each other].

What setup do I need to make on the client side?

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
After you set the SAMBA as a time server, try this command from a windows 98 computer:

net time \\samba_server_name /set

(substitute the netbios name for the SAMBA time server for and see if it works)
Robert83
Hi

I'm in big trouble sad.gif sad.gif

I've installed bridge-utils with yum install bridge-utils

and when I enter brctl addbr factory1

I get a br_add_bridge package not installed

please help, this is kinda urgent sad.gif sad.gif

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
I would do:

yum remove bridge-utils

and install from source...

I installed via this source file on my whitebox linux test machine and had no problem....

here is the source file:

http://bridge.sourceforge.net/bridge-utils...ls-0.9.6.tar.gz

I extracted to /tmp/bridge-utils and then i did:

cd /tmp/bridge-utils
./configure
make
make install
Robert83
Hi,

I solved the problem by enabling CONFIG_TUN = y , and CONFIG_BRIDGE = y in kernel config file, and I created a new kernel, and now it works.

I took me from 18:00-01:30 to install/update whitebox linux [net was choppy, again, cable modem...pfff]

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
those are modules on the standard kernel ... so:

modprobe tun
modprobe bridge

should have loaded them ...

but all should be good with them compiled into the kernel...

Did you replace both bridges yet, or just the one?
Robert83
Just that one...

and now that you told me about modprobe tun bridge I want my momie sad.gif sad.gif

I was working from 17:30 to 01:30 to get everything up and runing [the net was slow I needed to download the kernel soure wich took me 1hrs30min on my cable modem], If I would only now...awwww, I will write this down somewhere in RED.

I converted only that one computer to whitebox , oh and forgot to tell you WINS works very good, the only sidefect that computers disconected from the network can be seen after 10 minutes , but I think my clients can live with that[told them about the stuff, and they told me it's ok, speed is the only thing that matters to them].

So I'm happy that they are happy , so I was not working till 01:30 for nothing smile.gif . Today I'm going to do the other whitebox system. [by the way, I'm doing mininam installs now, and install the necesary software with yum , like samba, bridge-utils...]

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
You will have to add a line in rc.local (or something in the script to start the bridges) to load the modules ...

I saw a problem the other day where a module that was in the default config file (FTAPE=m) was not in the modules directory ... so I am going to do an install of whitebox and make sure they are there...I have rebuilt my kernel.
hughesjr
OK ... I have discovered that the configuration file included in the boot directory in WhiteBox is not the one used to compile the default kernel ... several modules are not included. The modules tun and bridge were not in my default install ... however they are installed if you rebuild the kernel per this link:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterpr...odularized.html

So you did indeed need to rebuild your kernel...
hughesjr
After doing some more research ... there is a RHEL (and therefore WhiteBox Linux) package called:

kernel-unsupported-version.arch.rpm

(version is your kernel version number uname -r.... arch is i386, althon, i686, etc.)

If you install this package, you don't have to rebuild the kernel to get the modules.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.