Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux N00b
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mattywarr
Hi there.

My names Matt and I am a complete Linux n00b.

I know my way around windows systems pretty much backwards, but I am having a little trouble getting my head round some stuff.

I am however, keen to learn off my own back, but I need to get my internet working on my Linux Drive so I can learn this stuff. Otherwise I have to reboot back to windows everytime. And that takes ages.

Anyway, I downloaded the Redhat 9 i386 ISOs, and installed the full complete everything package. I can log in, move around, and am picking things up slowly. However, I can't install my ADSL PCI Modem.

Its a conexant chipset OEM, and I have downloaded some generic drivers for it. But When I go into my network information and try too add it, I get stuck.

Do I add it as a xDSL device or Modem?
Which "Port" should it go on?
I think I need to run an rpm line to install the driver file, but where do i put the driver file before installing it?

Is there any other info you can offer me?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
hughesjr
It would get added as an xDSL device ... not a modem.

Can you point me at the device on the web (at the manufacturer's website), so I know exactly which ADSL modem it is?

And point me to the site you downloaded the drivers from....
mattywarr
Well, I got it as part of a DSL bundle I signed up for. its a non specific device using a Conexant Chipset.

http://www.conexant.com/support/md_drivera...assistance.html is where I have gotten the driver from. Although the device itself isn;t listed there, I downloaded the HSF for controllerless modems. Which is essentially what the chipset is.

I have since found that I can apparently run the rpm file from within gnome? Does that work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.