Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usb Mp3 Player/flash Drive
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Termina
1. Is there a way to "auto-play" it? So when I connect it to my PC, It mounts it and pops up a folder of "/mnt/sda1" (orwhatever)

2. Is there a way so that when I delete something, it goes to my /hda4 trash, instead of the /pda1 trash? So it frees up space on the flash drive, yet I Can always recovor it later.

Um, thanks! smile.gif
Termina
*Bump* biggrin.gif
Jim
What distro are you using? Because I use Mandrake 9.2 and my pens mount automaticaly. Its the unmounting that I have problem with.
Termina
Slackware. XD
hughesjr
What you want is called supermount. You would need to add the supermount patch to your kernel, recompile your kernel and then change your /etc/fstab to use supermount.

There are claims that supermount is not completely stable ... it has been around forever and not included in the official kernel (although Mandrake does include a version of it in their kernel).

I have used it in Mandrake and never had a problem ... I have not ever used it in slackware (...edit, UNTIL NOW).

If you want to try it, you can get a supermount patch here that is written for the 2.4.25 kernel. I applied it to my slackware kernel and it worked.

If you are interested in doing this for your slackware kernel, here is what to do.

If you haven't already done it, copy your current .config file in your in /usr/src/linux-2.4.25 to /boot like this:

cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.25/.config /boot/config-ide-2.4.25

If you haven't done any kernel makes since the last time when we built your kernel, this will be easy ...

Download the above supermount patch for the 2.4.25 kernel.

untar the patch and move it to /usr/src/linux-2.4.25

Apply the patch to the kernel like this:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.25
patch -p1 < 020-supermount-1.2.11a.diff

If this completes without error (it should) then rebuild your kernel with these commands:

make oldconfig

(when asked about supermount, pick y and press enter)

make dep

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

Copy the new kernel, config file, and System.map into place:

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.25

cp .config /boot/config-ide-2.4.25

cp System.map /boot/System.map-ide-2.4.25

I then edited my /etc/fstab to make my cdrom use supermount...

I remarked out my current cdrom line:

#/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

then added this line:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/cdrom,fs=iso9660,--,exec,ro,owner,umask=0 0 0

If you post the command that you use to mount the mp3 player and post the results of mount after it is mounted, I'll give you the mount line to use in /etc/fstab to see if it will supermount.
------------------
I had to recompile my NVIDIA driver after making my new kernel ... so... you may need to recompile some or all of your ati, nvnet, or nvaudio drivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.