Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
HELPME
I have an old computer that just sat there and I decided to do something with it. I figured I would turn it all into linux and get rid of windows. It's a really old computer. Windows 95, Pentium MMX with 200 mhz. I don't know what to do like what Linux system or what to do with it.
Robert83
Hi,

well you could start with Red Hat 9.0 Linux, Fedora Core 1 , Mandrake Linux , all of these have good GUI's , they are stable with the latest updates , detect a lot of stuff...

For Red Hat 9 go here http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/

you'll need

shrike-i386-disc1.iso 650MB-700MB
shrike-i386-disc2.iso 650MB-700MB
shrike-i386-disc3.iso 650MB-700MB

For Fedora Core 1 ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux...ore/1/i386/iso/

you'll need

yarrow-i386-disc1.iso 650MB-700MB
yarrow-i386-disc2.iso 650MB-700MB
yarrow-i386-disc3.iso 650MB-700MB

For Mandrake Linux ftp://ftp.tugraz.at/mirror/Mandrake-linux...x/Mandrake/iso/

you'll need

Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso 650MB-700MB
Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD2.i586.iso 650MB-700MB
Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD3.i586.iso 650MB-700MB

Sincerely
Robert B
Robert83
How much ram do you have?

because If you're planing to use some graphich intensive applications under Gnome or KDE [the Graphical User Interface for Linux], you'll need atleast 128MB ram...or more, otherwise things might be really-really-really slow

Sincerely
Robert B
HELPME
I have 64 megs ram
Robert83
Hi,

well for a desktop computer use of linux , with a GUI manager installed like GNOME or KDE , and some other stuff like OpenOffice , movie playing, mp3 listetning, will be quiet slow, so I would get atleast another 64MB or even better 128MB ram , so that you would have about 192MB RAM , wich would be a lot better.

but if you plan on using the system in the non graphical mode for a server , wich I think you shouldn't do at least for now, I mean the GUI [gnome & kde ...and the rest] makes things easier [settings etc...] for users that are new to linux.

so I would in you're place put more ram in that computer, but feel free to install it with 64MB, but you'll see that it will be slow...really slow .

Sincerely
Robert B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.