Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Hat 9 Installation Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
brassman
I recently installed Red Hat 9 and after it boots it goes to a blank screen and stays there. At this point the only thing I can do is listen to the fans or turn it off. What should I do?
Robert83
Hi,

I guess you have a GeForceFX5200 card or greater, first you should download the nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com , once you have done this , you should start linux in level 3 [non X mode, console] , to do this :

When linux is starting up, at the place when it counts back from 10 enter the following line : linux init3 [or init 3 , sorry not sure right now] , once it booted up.

Goto the directory where you've downloaded nvidia drivers, and do the following :

rpm -Uvh nvidia_driver_name.rpm

and after this enter the following command : reboot

step-by-step

1.goto http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x...0-5336-pkg1.run , and download this file to [for example ] /home/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
2.reboot, and when linux start up , at the point where it counts back from ten, enter the following command : linux init 3 [or init3, not sure]
3.enter username : root password : *******[you're password here instead of *******]
4.cd /home [ENTER]
5.rpm -Uvh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run [ENTER]
6.enter the following command : reboot [ENTER]

Sincerely
Robert B
cagey cretin
QUOTE (brassman @ Mar 19 2004, 03:05 PM)
I recently installed Red Hat 9 and after it boots it goes to a blank screen and stays there. At this point the only thing I can do is listen to the fans or turn it off. What should I do?

The same thing (apparantly) happened to me a few months ago. I had checked all the hardwaree against Redhat's compatibility list (forgot where that is), and everything was fine. I actually installed the OS, but upon first boot, the screen went blank.

My solution was to put in a new graphics card. I didn't even look to see if it was on RH's list of good hardware, but it worked fine.

If that don't help, bump. smile.gif

cc
brassman
I found the problem. I had set the screen size to be 1024x768 so the window was out of range. After I changed it to 800x600 it worked fine. Thank you for your suggestions anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.