Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Configuring An Email Server With Imap
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
moopman
hi, i'm trying to learn how to set up a linux email server. I've installed red hat 9 and i've configured sendmail and installed openwebmail. so far so good. i can login, send and receive mail over the web interface. what i would like to do next is connect to the server via imap from something like outlook. does anyone know where i can find some information on how to configure imap with red had 9?

thanks.
Robert83
Hi

here is the link to the howto :

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP.html

Sincerely
Robert B
moopman
thank you for your response. it turns out that it was configured alright but just disabled. its strange how that was never really documented where i could see in the redhat stuff. oh well.

i had to comment out the line:

CODE
disable = yes

in /etc/xinetd.d/imap

and then:

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

now if only smtp wouldn't have problems relaying outside my network...
moopman
ok, i found the problem to not being able to send mail through the mail sever. you must edit:

CODE
/etc/mail/access

i added:

CODE
192.168.1 RELAY

to allow any mail from machines on my local network to be relayed.

you then have to:

CODE
makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < /etc/mail/access

i guess with redhat 9 and others all relaying is disabled for security purposes, so you must do this if you want to create a useful mail server. i'm amazed i didn't run across it sooner.

i hope this helps someone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.