Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grub Q On Upgrading Kernel
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
sebastino
I just upgraded the kernel, and it seems Joey's guide didnt mentioned installing kernel using grub as the boot loader.. i just figured out some of it, but the problem is that i dont have the initrd-blah-blaah-2.6.4.img like the older entries on my grub.conf. How can i add initrd-img to grub?

Please help...

TIA
hughesjr
You mean that you don't have an initrd image built? Or do you mean you don't have the entry in grub?

If you build in all the disc controller drivers and filesystems (ext2, ext3, reiserfs) into the kernel and not as modules, you don't have to have an initrd image
sebastino
I have some entries on my grub.conf since it is running on an old kernel version, I just upgraded to 2.6.4 but i dont know what to add on the grub.conf since i only know how to use the new kernel in lilo.conf. I dont know what to put on grub.conf since Joey's guide only mentioned how to put those parameters using LILO but not GRUB.
hughesjr
OK,

you have a current entry that should look something like this in your /boot/grub/grub.conf (it is also menu.lst):

CODE
title White Box Enterprise Linux (2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ vga=789 video=800x600
       initrd /initrd-2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp.img

Copy those 4 lines and paste them below the the other one like this, changing the title to whatever you want, and the name of the kernel to point the file you copied from /usr/src/linux-2.4.7/arch/i386/, remove the initrd line and see if the kernel boots... like this:

CODE
title White Box Enterprise Linux (2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ vga=789 video=800x600
       initrd /initrd-2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp.img

title NewName
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /new_kernel_name ro root=LABEL=/ vga=789 video=800x600

You don't need to use my kernel lines ... use your line, but if you are having a video problem on bootup, you can try my vga= and video= parameters.

If the kernel won't boot without initrd, post the errors, but you probably need (in make menuconfig {or make xconfig} to not compile the file systems as modules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.