Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grub Question
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Robert83
Hi,

Here is my setup, I've got a 80GB,60GB and a [removable] 20GB hard disk with Whitebox 3.0 installed on it, my problem is :

That I've also got a 80GB HD wich is also removable[currently not in, because of 20GB Linux], full with movies. The problem is, if I remove the 20GB hard disk, and insert the 80GB hard disk full with movies, grub won't boot, how can I make Grub to boot from hda [80GB], without searching for the 20GB[linux] till I tell him to boot Linux, so that I could switch the 80 and 20GB disks without any problems.

Please help.

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
Is it at the grub process where you are having problems, or where the OS tries to mount the Hard Drives later in the install?

If the removable drive is not a boot drive then it shouldn't matter to grub ....
Robert83
Hi,

It's the grub, when I remove the removable hd [altought during install I told grub to install on hda, and the removable is hdc], grub won't even start up.

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
wierd ...

ok,

cd /boot/grub

edit the file device.map

remove any entries for /dev/hdc and save the file.

now (still from within the /boot/grub directory) run the command:

grub

You should now be at the grub prompt ....

We are going to issue the root command next ... but it is the location of the partition that contains your boot ... for me, that is normally a seperate partition at hda1 ... if yours is different, you will need a diffrent drive than (hd0,0)...(hd0,0) is hda1...(hd0,1) is hda2...(hd0,3) is hda3...(hd1,0) is hdb1...(hd1,1) is hdb2...(hd2,0) is hdc1...(hd3,1) is hdd2, etc. So if your boot partition is seperate and at hda1 then the command is:

root (hd0,0)

then we want to setup the MBR again ...

setup (hd0)

now we wnat to exit

quit

edit the file device.map and remove any entries for /dev/hdc again.

reboot and see what happens...
Robert83
Hi,

My boot partition is on [I mean the Grub location], hdc1, this could be the problem?

How do I move the boot partition from hdc1 to hda1? [windowsxp is on hda1 , but I use FAT32, NTFS not for me...]

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
Normally, grub is in the /boot directroy ... did you install it somewhere else?

if it is in /boot and if /boot is on hdc1, then probably the easiest thing to do is this:

copy the entire boot directory /tmp like this:

cp -R /boot /tmp/

then unmount the /boot directory ...

umount /boot

now:

cp -R /tmp/boot /boot

then go into /etc/fstab and don't mount /boot (it will be part of root).

You would then need setup grub like I said before...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you put grub somewhere other than the boot partition before ... you can reinstall it with the command:

grub-install --root-directory=/boot '(hd1)'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.