Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Artificial Latency
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
georgeman
Hi there,
I've got a linux box, with 1 NIC in it (I CAN add more if I have to, though I'd rather not).
it can get to two subnets not directly connected to it (10.0.1.0/24 and 10.0.2.0/24, the sever is on 10.0.0.0/24)

10.0.2.0/24 currently pings at 20ms, and 10.0.3.0/24 pings at 30ms (they are physicly about 1000km apart).
What I want, is for both of them to be at 30ms, by increasing 10.0.2.0/24 to 30ms (increase of 10ms).

The box has iproute2, running kernel 2.6.3 with all of the QOS and NETFILTER modules enabled.
I've been working at this, and short of running it through another box via bnc, I'm out of ideas.

thanks in advance...
-Dave
hughesjr
I never really tried to make my network be slower before biggrin.gif

I don't know how to do it. Just for my own knowledge, why do you want to increase the Latency?
Termina
Create a bash script to run in the background. Have it loop, and have it ping both 15 times every second, with large packets. XD

*falls over*
georgeman
why would I want to slow something down?
I keep asking myself this.

we run a gameservice, for national tornys, we need to have everyone on a level playing field
most of the states are a good 1000km apart, = ~10ms
Termina
I doubt that creating artifical latency will help. =/ You'll just make everyone lag or be slower.

Most games have some sort of latency control built in, so everyone plays at the same speed and if one person lags slightly, everyone does (thus no advantage).

Are you sure the game(s) you're going to be hosting don't have this?

(Games like this I can think of include Starcraft, and rise of nations)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.