Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrade
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
winchester169
I have a firewall/file server running RedHat 7.3 (Valhalla) and am considering installing Fedora 1 (Yarrow). My concern is whether my settings will be preserved on an install or sill I have to reconfigure Samba, iptables etc. I have never installed over a version before.

Second question. I have read many articles on the different flavors of Linux. What version of Linux should I be running? I have heard many talk about the benefits of BSD (Free, Net, Open) as well. I am still "learning" Linux and need some experienced input.

Thank you in advance.

Jered Winchester
jered@wisenetworks.net
Robert83
Hi,

In order to keep you're settings be sure to copy samba config file from /etc/samba/smb.conf to a safe place, or you squid file /etc/squid/squid.conf and the rest of the *.conf files of the softwares that you used.

I'm using Whitebox Enterprise Linux 3.0Final/Fixed [www.whiteboxlinux.org], this is a rebuild of the RH Enterprise Linux 3.0 source code, till now it performed really great.

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
I NEVER recommend upgrading an install .... (wether using Windows or Linux).

There are too many issues. It trys to recycle config files that don't contain all the new parameters, it only upgrades certian packages, etc.

You may have problems with your firewall ... Isn't IPCHAINS the default firewall in RH 7.3 .... did you use IPTABLES instead? Are you using a seperate firewall script .... or do you have the rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables file?

BSD is good too ... but there are less software choices and some major differences between it and RedHat. There is no rpms and upgrades handled differently ... also the filesystems are totally different. BSD is doable, but I don't use it.

I would save /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /root, /home/users (sub the actual users that are important for users), /etc/samba/ (the whole directory), and any other files that are important (that are not normal system files {ie, if you have samba shared files for windows users on that drive, etc.})
------------------
If all you are doing on that machine is Firewall and file serving, I would agree that WhiteBox Enterprise Linux is a good choice. It is stable, going to stay supported with updates and errata (based on RHEL 3 SRPMS).

WhiteBox will have older packages later on ... right now most packages are newer than RedHat 9 and slightly behind Fedora Core 1...but difference will become more pronounced as time passes, RHEL 3 (and therfore WBEL) will stick to the major versions they have choosen and only upgrade because of security/bug fixes (this is good for stability ... not so good if you want the latest and greatest). But, RedHat has promised a 5 year lifetime for RHEL 3 ... so to Oct 2008 ... with security patches and errata.

Whitebox will also probably rebuild RHEL 4 when it becomes available in a couple years and have both versions to choose from...as long as RedHat continues to release source.

I personally use WhiteBox Enterprise Linux on all my Linux servers .... and on my personal workstation at work. I also like PCLinuxOS, Gentoo, Debian (actually, UserLinux), Mandrake, SUSE and Fedora Core(relutantly) for workstations (in that order).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.