Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antivirus
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
mianve
Do we need anti virus w/ Linux? If so. what are good sources?
Robert83
Hi,

Under linux itself you don't really have to worry about viruses, since most of the viruses are for windows, and in the realm of linux a little windows virus can't do anything...

You only need to get a virus scanner, if you plan to use you're computer in a network wich has windows to, since in this case you might copy a file to you're linux computer from the windows computer to watch, or for backup, and that file might have a virus, and once you decide to copy it back to you're windows computer you'll be suprised that where on earth did this w32 chernobil virus came from?.

So you should look the web...but I know of a good, and free, and regulary updated antivirus toolkit for linux, www.bitdefender.com, just download the rpm to /home

and open console and type in console rpm -Uvh [thenameofthebitdefenderfile].rpm
always do -Uvh for rpm, since this will upgrade existing packages, or install a new one...[ivh does the same, but you're better off with -Uvh]

and after it type bdc to see the options for the program
first you should run bdc --update [or -update not sure again , sorry smile.gif]

Sincerely
Robert B
mianve
Thanks Robert, wish Linux made cars, all free never breaks down, great!
Robert83
Hi,

well you'll find bumps on the road "learning linux", just don't give up, I myself got it reinstalled imdeately after the first installation since I messed it up so much...and there is always some new chalange, when changing some hardware, that is totaly different from the previous...etc...

but once linux is configured properly and updated on a regular bassis, it will be a much more stable system then windows... altought this cannot be told about the X11 manager, so you can except some errors showing up, like this program has terminated [or something like that] , but it'll improve in time, and with winex or wine you can play a few windows based games on linux, for example winex3 can play warcraft3 without any problems.

also please take you're time and download apt-get or yum

for music listening you can use Xmms or Xine
for playing movies you can use mplayer

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
No real time file protection, or any thing like that, is required ... but it might be nice to run a scan once a week.

But like Robert says ... if you are going to use your linux for things like a e-mail server or samba file server, you want to scan for viruses to prevent your windows machines from becoming infected (or infecting each other).

Here is a large list of Linux Anti-Virus products....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.