Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me Better Understand
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
rayber2000
Can you look at the following set of instructions and maybe help me better understand?

The network to apply the instructions to has 4 servers that are to be set up as follows:
Amaserver = Samba PDC/ File Server IP 192.168.4.200
Firewall = Firewall/ Gateway IP 192.168.4.1
FTPMAIL = FTP/ E-Mail IP 192.168.4.202
MISCSERVICES = DHCP/ Apache Web IP 192.168.4.201

We'll call the above the "Actual Network". Right now a Windows 2000 server is acting as the DHCP server and we want it to go.

Now for the instructions,
The instructions to set up the DHCP server read like this:
A single server at address 10.0.0.1 is used as the router (or gateway) and DNS server for the LAN. To ensure that the server always gets the fixed address 10.0.0.1, a host entry is set to the hardware address (00:D0:B3:79:B5:35) for the Ethernet card on the host ns.

Example of the dhcpd.conf file:

host ns {
next-server ns1.handsonhistory.com;
hardware ethernet 00:D0:B3:79:B5:35;
fixed address 10.0.0.1;
}
In order to plug in the data from the actual network into the sample, would the host be the above Amaserver? Why does the network need a DNS server, everything I have looked at implies that the DNS server function is for the WAN side?
and would the code look like the following:
host Amaserver {
next-server Amaserver;
hardware ethernet 00:04:5A:4f:8E;47;
fixed address 192.168.4.200
}

I guess my confusion comes from not knowing if the PDC is the DNS server, and what they are trying to do with the 'next-server' part of the line.

The instructions say to add another server to the config file like this:
host MISCSERVICES {
hardware ethernet 00:04:5A:4f:8E;47;
fixed address 192.168.4.201
}
No 'next-server' part of the line.

Any thoughts on this? What am I missing?
hughesjr
Those entries are just to reserve specific IPs for specific MAC addresses, just remark out that whole section if you have assigned a permanent address already to some machines.....and make sure the addresses you assign permanently are not in the defined scope that you assign automatically....

Here is my dhcpd.conf for a very simple domain in RedHat (it is domain 192.168.1.0 .... and it is behind 192.168.0.0 so I can test a firewall):

CODE
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

# --- default gateway
       option routers                  192.168.1.1;
       option subnet-mask         255.255.255.0;

#       option nis-domain               "domain.org";
       option domain-name              "home.local";
       option domain-name-servers      192.168.0.1;

option time-offset              -21600; # Central Standard Time
#       option ntp-servers              192.168.1.1;
#       option netbios-name-servers     192.168.1.1;
# --- Selects point-to-point node (default is hybrid). Don't change this unless
# -- you understand Netbios very well
#       option netbios-node-type 2;

range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.128 192.168.1.200;
       default-lease-time 21600;
       max-lease-time 43200;

# we want the nameserver to appear at a fixed address
       #host ns {
       #       next-server marvin.redhat.com;
       #       hardware ethernet 12:34:56:78:AB:CD;
       #       fixed-address 207.175.42.254;
       #}
}

This will assign IPs 192.168.1.128 - 192.168.1.200 to the requests (so I can use 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.127 and 192.168.1.201 - 192.168.1.254 as manually assigned addresses).
rayber2000
Thank you so much for the reply. Most helpful.
In your code you have a domain-name-servers option that is a nis server can you tell me if you use nis for windows clients? Who keeps the directory of windows IP addresses? I read that nis is mainly for Unix & Linux, there was no mention of Windows clients.
I think I am missing something. Or can the DHCP server do the job just by running this script.
I appologize for my ignorance. I come from the Microsoft world where most of this happens behind the scenes.
Thank you again.
hughesjr
Everything with a # in front of it is remarked out .... so I don't have the NIS enabled ... as well the NS entry at the bottom is also disabled.

NIS is not used for Windows:

here is in the definition:
NIS
    (n.) The SunOS 4.0 (minimum) Network Information Service. A distributed network database containing key information about the systems and the users on the network. The NIS database is stored on the master server and all the slave servers. See also NIS+.
NIS+

(n.) The SunOS 5.0 (minimum) Network Information Service. NIS+ replaces NIS, the SunOS 4.0 (minimum) Network Information Service.
NIS domain

(n.) A master set of network information service (NIS) maps maintained on the NIS master server and distributed to that server's NIS slave servers.
NIS maps

(n.) The database-like entities that maintain information about machines on a local area network. Programs that are part of the NIS service query these maps. See also NIS.

All that the DHCPd does is provide a DHCP address (and include other possible items, like what dns server, wins server, domain name, etc.) that you want the client to use. You still must provide those other services. You can provide a WINS server with either a WinNT, Win2k or Win2k3 server ... or using a SAMBA server in Linux.

If you have a wins server on your network ... unremark the line:

option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

and change the IP address to the correct value....
hughesjr
BTW,

A WINS server is not required for a Windows Client Network to operate .... There is a service called Compter Browser in windows that will track all the computers in the workgroup/domain.

One computer on the each subnet (usually the PDC) is the Master Browser .... 2 other computers on each subnet (that have the Computer Browser service running) become the subnet's Browser. All 3 computers mantain a Browse List so that the other PC's can find shares (like printers and file shares).

A wins server is basically only required where you are going to do things like establish a trust relationship between more than 1 domain ... or connect 2 subnets together.

It has been my experience that on a moderately sized network (more than 20 PCs) that a wins server speeds up name lookups, but it isn't required.
rayber2000
That's it! That is the missing piece of the puzzle! Thank you so much!
You have no idea how much help you've been.

Thanks again!
Ray
rayber2000
Another interesting piece to this puzzle can be uncovered here:
http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/redhat/redha...ynamic_dns.html
Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.