Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suse 9.0 Web Problems
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
garyalaska
Hi, I'm a newbie just learning Linux. I've installed Suse 9.0 and have a couple of problems. I've managed to config the modem to log into my Isp usinb bodth Kinternet and kppp. It stays log in until time out and the connection log shows the AT commands and responces. I can not get it's Konquor program to access web pages and get a error 14 in the log. I think the problem is in the DNS address and I installed both manually in kppp. but no results. I'm currently lost in all of the paperwork of Linux and think its great, but can not find a over all view that says this need thAT. Can not find if I need a gateway address. I bought a CenDyne 56 K serial modem and it works fine in the dual boot Win 98 se. Any help would appreciated
Corey
After connecting to the internet, open up Konsole, and type

cat /etc/resolv.conf

and see if there are any nameservers listed there. If there isn't, you can manually add them:

echo "nameserver 0.0.0.0">>/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 0.0.0.0">>/etc/resolv.conf

However, if you are connecting to the internet with ppp, then kppp might overwrite this file to whatever your ISP sends to you.
garyalaska
Thanks for the shout, I went through everything and your post helped me realize that there was trouble in the system, I wiped out everything and reloaded Suse again. I also caused my own trouble by adding my server name in the named server box. When I entered only the DNS number it took off oK. I've now downloaded all of the upgrades. biggrin.gif Thanks again for your time. Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.