Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Browsing Folder Content In Apache
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
albustansintra
Hello,

I needed to get the contents of a folder showing up through apache. I think this is called webdav or the ability to browse folder contents, but I'm not sure.
At the moment I have the following configuration:

-Virtual server setup
-A folder holding the contents that I want users to list (browse)
-The folder mentioned above doesnt have any index.htm or other reference file
-Permissions on the folder are xxx,x-x,x-x root root, so everyone should be able to read and execute
-When I follow the url that queries for the folder I get an automatically generated apache page referencing that the server is not correctly configured. ( This however, only happens if I dont put an index.html file in the folder, when I do it opens the file with no problems)

I guess this has something to do with apache's configuration, probably security related so that the folder contents dont get listed when apache doesnt find an index.htm or other reference file.

If I remember after a fresh install apache did this folder browsing automatically (by default)..

Does anyone know the relevant configuration for this in the apache.conf?

Thanks
Robert83
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var

Set's the file that Apache will serve if a directory is browsed...

Sincerely
Robert B
albustansintra
Thanks Robert..

The thing is I dont want apache serving a default document.

I need it to serve a listing of the files & folders that the webfolder contains. Actually its a folder with my fotos and videos. I want the end user to access it and have a listing of what fotos and videos are available.

.... unsure.gif
Robert83
Hi,

it's simple smile.gif

DocumentRoot "/home/robert/whatever.hml"

have fun smile.gif

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
Try this:

on the applicable Options line in the httpd.conf file and the option:

Indexes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.