Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Line In Recorder
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Stevey_G
Where can I get a decent line in recorder for linux people? I want something adequate to record my mixes from my decks. Cheers
hughesjr
If you have a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA Adapter, you can use a standard Sound Card's input line to the tape decks non-amplified output (not output to speakers ... but output that you would hookup to an amplifier input).

If you have an external mixer with a 1/4" stereo output ... then is adapter would do the trick.

I have found the quality of that to be OK for most purposes ...

You would control the gain using the standard mixer in Linux (under the sound menu option).
Stevey_G
The decks are already set up, and linux is playing the tunes through fine, i just need a software based recorder for recording mixes.
hughesjr
Audacity is a pretty good program ... what linux distro are you using?
Stevey_G
Red Hat 9
hughesjr
I just checked this download on RH9 ....

download this file:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/latest/aud...ux-i386.tar.bz2

then issue the command:

tar -xvjf audacity-linux-i386.tar.bz2

from within the destination directory ...

then move the directory to /usr/lib/ like this:

mv audacity-linux-i386-1.2.0 /usr/lib/

then go to /usr/bin and create a link to the executable like this:

cd /usr/bin
ln -s /usr/lib/audacity-linux-i386-1.2.0/audacity .

then use the command:

audacity

to start the program....
Stevey_G
Bit of an error when I go to run it mate.

./audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libmad.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hughesjr
That is a shared library provided by the package libmad

are you using apt for RH9?

If so, do:

apt-get update
apt-get install libmad

You can get the package for RH9 here:

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1385

I don't know if there are other dependancies or not....

You can download and try to install the libmad package like this if you don't have apt:

rpm -Uvh libmad-0.15.0b-2.fr.i386.rpm
Stevey_G
You are a legend my friend!! biggrin.gif
Stevey_G
Ok its nicely installed now... but when I go to press the record button i get this:

Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate. ph34r.gif
Stevey_G
Anyone? I have two sound cards in my machine. The one im using is the on board one... not sure what device it should be set to? And what the smaple rate should be?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.