Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Help.. Very Frustrated
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
redfan
(Have posted on Linux Forum also)

Hi,

I just bought a new ethernet modem (having given up on my BT Voyager USB and no success with eciadsl).

It is a Binatone ethernet broadband modem (adsl2000, which claims to be combatible with all os).... Suse 9.0 see's my network card (10/100 Mbps Ethernet), however I have tried to configure the modem, but nothing.. it keeps telling me it cannot connect...

How do I do this, how do I configure my modem to run, I thought ethernet would solve my modem probs... ???
Sorry to sound like this but I've been trying really hard to get my old 56k and Voyager adsl working with no joy... and now this... I feel like I'm plagued with Linux...

Which is a shame because it looks and uses much better than WinDoze.... please help...

Thanks
hughesjr
OK ... If your eth0 card is recognized, all you should have to do is run YAST ... select network devices

select DSL if you use PPPOE (probably)

go through the wizard (select PPP over Ethernet .... PPPOE) on eth0

add a provider if yours in not on the list ... put in your username and password....
redfan
Thanks

I have actually switched to Mandrake 9.2 now.. (in the hope that it work better, but to no joy sad.gif )

Any advice with Mandrake, I had tried what you suggested previously on SuSe, however it did not work.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
redfan
me again...

my ethernet card is as follows...

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC... is this ok?

Modem is Binatone ADSL 2000

Cheers
michaelk
RTL8139 is compatable with linux and you shouldn't have any problems.

A ethernet modem should also work with linux. I assume the modem is connected directly to the computer and no router inbetween?

Try using the Mandrake control center and the internet connection wizard.
redfan
Hi,

Cheers for the advice, I have been trying to do this, however I (for some reason) still have this problem...

When using the control centre, I should be chosing the adsl connection wizard correct?
Then chosing connect via eth0?

I really am stuggling with this for some reason, I know it should work... but aghh... I am off to try it again and will post with an update. Cheers

thanks again
redfan
Hi...

YES YES YES....

I write this from my newly functioning ADSL modem on Mandrake 9.2..... YES...

I'm so dumb.... I looked through the ethernet modem manual... at the very back was some url address for me to type in to activate the modem... I did this, entered my isp details and bingo... now it works like a dream... woohoo... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for all your help, I will no doubt be back here... but for now.. excellent!!!

one question, how do I ensure my firewall is full protecting me?

Cheers matey..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.