Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fstab And Vfat Drives And Garnome...
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
tfdml37
Heyas
I've recently converted to linux from a windows system and I've got a big ol 120 gig drive that has a bunch of data on it but still has some space on it (as opposed to my root drive). The whole thing is formated with fat32 (in 20 and 10 gig chunks).

My problem in particular is that when I try to run garnome it wants to change user and group id's and play around with the permissions, but it isnt allowed. I've tried messing around with umask, fmask, dmask trying to get garnome what it wants, but no luck. I've sifted through the man pages for mount/ fstab and searched around the net a bit but havent really found anything helpful.

the fstab entry for the drive in mention is
/dev/hdb6 /mnt/programs vfat noauto,user,exec,rw,suid,umask=007 0 2

thx
Robert83
HI,

1.fdisk -l [it'll display drives, and partitions]
2. mount -t vfat /dev/hdb5 /windows/C [this is only example]
3. later you can ad this line to /etc/rc.d/rc.locas [this way it will mount it in /windows/C at every startup]

Sincerely
Robert B
tfdml37
[quote=Robert83,Feb 27 2004, 02:43 AM]
1.fdisk -l  [it'll display drives, and partitions]
[/quote]

or just type mount..

2. mount -t vfat  /dev/hdb5 /windows/C  [this is only example]
[/quote]
or just type mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/programs and it'll figure it out on it's own

3. later you can ad this line to /etc/rc.d/rc.locas [this way it will mount it in /windows/C at every startup]
[/quote]
or just edit /etc/fstab...

I'm glad you didnt say rtfm (In which case I coulda replied rtfp), this really didnt help..
Robert83
sorry
hughesjr
you might try umask=000 or umask=0000 in the mount line in fstab ....
tfdml37
hrm.. turns out that It wouldnt work properly because I was doing all this as root.. I unmounted the drive, then remounted it as a regular user and it worked fine.. I thought you had to do everything of importance as root..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.