Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Drive Permission
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Jim
I need help in changing the permission on a couple different drives. I have two USB keys that I use to move files around. I can write to them just fine, but I can't un-mount them. So far I have just been pulling them out and pluging them in and letting Mandrake auot-mount them. But every now and than files are getting screwed up or I can't get it to auto mount again after I pull it out. I think actually un-mounting it before I pull it out would help. I tried to change the permission on them from Root but it didn't seem to work. What do I need to change in order to let me unmount these things.

Thanks
hughesjr
before you unmount them you need to make sure nothing is using them ... including any shell you are in.

use the command:

fuser -m /dev/xxxx
(replace xxxx with the device name)

You should get an output of anything using that device (if you don't know the device name, you can use the command mount to find it).

Once you issue the fuser command, it will give you back a process ID (PID) ... and you can use the command:

ps -ef | grep PID

if you can't get rid of the program any other way,use the command:

kill PID
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.