Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux Noob Needs Help With Itmodem
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
spiroth10
Hi. Im a linux noob. I just installed red hat 9 with kernel 2.4 (or something like that) and I have a lucent win modem. I burned itmodem to a cd (I cant go on the web with linux without a modem, so I used windows), and unpacked it in red hat... one problem -- I know nothing about linux, and I need step by step instructions to get it running. Can someone give me step by step instructions on installation? thanks a lot.
shaggy999
My understanding is that winmodems are generally not support because of the inherent design of the hardware (all of the important calculations are removed from the hardware and placed in a driver which runs on your CPU, and those drivers are only available for Windows). However, I did hear about a winmodem driver project... you will have to look in that. But don't get your hopes up.
shaggy999
So I just looked up the itmodem thing and it looks like you may have lucked out.

What type of file did you download? A source file? (*.gzip, *.tar, or *.tar.gz) or an RPM? (*.rpm).

If you downloaded an RPM, make sure the RPM is for your specific kernel. Then run the following command:

rpm -Uvh whateverthefilenameis.rpm

If it's source files, I *think* that means re-compiling your kernel, and I know nothing about that. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.