Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usb Modem Help
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
cedrik
i recently aquired mandrake, however it doesnt seem to like my usb modem, and im really getting annoyed with it!

i will admit now im very new to linux, and i dont really know what to do. some one suggested a module known as acm.o but i have no idea where to find it

any help with this would be appreciated
hughesjr
Was the USB modem you are trying to use on the Mandrake Linux Hardware Compatability List (HCL)?

If not, did you check with the manufacturer of your USB modem and ask them if they:

a. Support the GNU/Linux Kernel?
b. Support Mandrake Linux in particular?

Please do contact them and tell them you would like to use their product on Linux ... and that if they supported Linux, you would likely buy products from them in the future.
----------------------------------------------------
Here is my parable:

If you bought an oil filter from FRAM to put on your car (a filter that FRAM built for a Chevy, but you figured, hey a car is a car, and I need an oil filter) ... and if it didn't screw on to the engine ... would you:

a. Call Ford Motor Company and complain that the car was defective because the filter doesn't fit. (ie, Blame Linux because the modem doesn't work)

b. Go to the local dealership where you got you car and complain that your car is defective because a filter made for a Chevy 350 engine won't fit the car you bought from them (ie, blame Mandrake {a distributor for a specific version of GNU/Linux} that your modem doesn't work)

c. Call FRAM and tell them ... Hey, that oil filter you made for a Chevy 350 engine doesn't work on a Ford 4 cylinder engine. You Fram guys are sure screwed up for making that Chevy 350 filter. (ie, blaming Mandrake for not having a driver for your modem, even if it isn't on their HCL and even if it was made to use on a computer with the Microsoft Windows Operating System ... not for GNU/Linux).

d. Go back to the store and buy the oil-filter that actually says it fits on your Ford 4 cylinder engine. (ie, check the Mandrake Linux HCL, and obtain a modem that they say works with Mandrake).
------------------------------------------------
OK ... enough of that, and wasn't directed at you personally, so please don't be upset wink.gif

Someone in the Linux community may have taken up the slack for the short sighted hardware manufacturer of your modem ... who is most likely just like the majority of hardware manufacturers, and doesn't even know what Linux is.

What is the Manufacturer and model number for your modem?
wonks
What's the chips set of your USB modem? if it's a globespan you can try the following website: there's driver provided for ADSL USB modem.

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en

cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.