Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Did The Kernel Update Do?
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
albustansintra
Hello!

I have just ran up2date and installed the latest kernel for my RH9. After my 1st reboot I noticed that the mount points defined in fstab were not working anymore. I used an RPM to be able to access these NTFS partitions, and solved the problem by going back to the RPM site and getting the package required for my new kernel.

My question however is what about all the other RPMs I have installed in the last 3months...! Will they run on this new kernel.

I just wanted to know what I should watch out for when (or before) I do a kernel upgrade. I fear that some system drivers may have also stopped working ..

Is there a way of making things run independantly of these new kernels.

I'm lost, any help would be welcome. smile.gif
Robert83
Well, I don't really know that much about kernel updates myself,...

but I can give you one advice if it aint broke don't fix it!

my thingie with this kernel was , the first time , my ethernet board stopped functioning, after that my USB...and cd smile.gif
so be carefull

someone will respond to you're message soon, so wait , till you do something not good.

Sincerely
Robert B
hughesjr
Updating your kernel is usually good, because most of the updates are either security fixes, bug fixes or performance enhancements...

BUT ... and kernel modules that were added (but not part of) the old Kernel will probably have to be updated. This includes the NTFS modules (they have one for all the RedHat kernels here ... download the version for your kernel version and arch (ie. i686, althon, etc.).

Other items that have to be redone include Nvidia or ATI proprietary video modules (the one downloaded and installed from their websites)..

if you have an NForce 2 Motherboard and had to build the modules from Nvidia.com that has to be rebuilt ... any proprietary SCSI Drivers, etc.

Basically, any other kernel modules added for other items like network cards, sound cards, modems, etc. that were not part of the original kernl will likely have to be rebuilt on every kernel upgrade.
albustansintra
That's exactly it. I've been having problems with the drivers I installed for my MSI K7N2 board, with the Nvidia Nforce2 chipset !! smile.gif You guessed it!

What do I do now, can I just recompile and make install? or should I first try uninstalling the old Nforce2 drivers?

Another thing, sometimes I use SRPM's build them and then install RPMs. Will these not be affected with new kernels.

I feel I have to tackle compiling kernels someday, but there are so many things I would like to get working first.. never get the time!

Thanks
hughesjr
you will need to rebuild the RPMS from the SRPMS (if the program is a kernel driver) ... regular progams don't need to be redone, just kernel drivers ... you don't have to uninstall the old kernel drivers (and don't want to uninstall ... because you will break your working kernel)...just make the new ones (while bootup up on the new kernel) and they will go into the /lib/modules/version directory.

You may need to point the link /usr/src/linux to your current kernel source...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.