Last weekend I successfully made my Win 98 machine dual boot to Fedora Linux. I know little about the Linux operating system, and have come across a very frustrating issue. Linux doesn't seem to know what to do with my D-Link DWL-120 USB wireless network card.

I did a little research and found that my card is based on an Atmel chip, who has released Linux drivers. I installed the drivers a couple of times now by following several different walkthroughs, but I still cannot get the card up and running. When I type iwconfig in the terminal, it shows wlan0 as the card, and based on the MAC address matching the one printed on the card, I believe it recognizes it, but the ap line(I believe that stands for access point) is 00:00:00:00:00:00, and the signal strength is 0. ifconfig displays similar information. Based on this I think that the card cannot see the access point, but I have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone run into a similar problem and been able to fix it? Or is there something I am missing in the setup? When I switch over to Windows 98, the card comes up fine, and I am able to connect with it.

Commands I have read to use are:
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
ifconfig wlan0 <my ip address>

The most frustrating part is that I cannot access any help sites from Linux, where I really need them, so every time I try something new or come across a new error I have to reboot into Windows to get online and look it up. There are a few other random issues with Linux, but I'd like to be able to get on the web before I try to resolve them.

Thank you very much for your help.