Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem With Two Hard Drive Linux Install
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Croatian0
Here we go.......Ok i just recently built a new computer with two seperate hard drives one 80gb and the other 40gb. On the 80 i first installed XP and I had planned to install redhat 9 on the 40gb. i went through the installation as follows.....I decide on the graphical mode and went for a custom install......next I decided to let redhat automatically detect partitions and to delete all partitions on the 40gb drive......next I checked only the box labeled hdb which was my 40gb to put the linux partition on. then i set the grub to be on the hda (80gb)with XP and to boot from dos auto(was that wrong???).....then i installed and picked out the extra driver info....it then tells me to shut down and reboot. Now it at boot brings up the grub which shows three menu items.....1).linux (2.4.20-6smp)........2).linux-UP (2.4.20-6)...........3)DOS..............if I boot to linux (2.4.20-6smp) it seems that I get alot of tests and the last thing it checks for is vp_IDE unknown via southBrigde, disabling DMA and the cursor just blinks forever...also says not 100% native mode....... if i boot from linux-up (2.4.20-6) i get a <0> kernel panic: attemped to kill init! error...it also says it is not tainted,whatever that means.........and if I boot from dos I get windows XP. Then i went back and repeated all the same steps and got the same result..........So someone please tell me if im installing something wrong or am i just an idiot thanks alot
Could it possibliy be a hardware conflict??????

P4 3.0 800mhz fsb...........the chipsets on the mobo are as follows.......VIA pt800 northbridge and a VIA 8237 southbridge
hughesjr
You did the install correctly...

I think is it a driver issue (or maybe hyper threading)

You might try editing the kernel line of the redhat boot as follows:

at the grub selection, use the arrows, highlight the non-smp kernel and press e. then highlight the kernel line and press e again ... then enter a space and noapic acpi=off to the end of the line ... press enter to save and then b to boot and see if that works.

If not, I would try the same install with fedora core 1 (it has a newer kernel and newer drivers).
Croatian0
Hey thanks man for all the help but it didnt work.....what do you think about be installing mandrake 9.2 i heard its more compatible with the via chipsets
hughesjr
Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake 9.2 both might work .... and soon Mandrake 10 (and Fedora Core2 ) should be available. Actually, you can download Mandrake 10 RC1 right now (there are issues with the install, but if the others won't install, that might be a good choice).
Croatian0
mandrake 9.2 runs great man thanks for your help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.