Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Multi Booting With Windows Partitions
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
nuson
I'm having trouble installing linux on my computer. What I want is to be able to preserve windows XP, but I can't seem to do that. When the linux installer partitions my hard drive, I get these errors in windows to the effect that certain lba values don't match (don't know what lba is). How should I partition my hard drive so I can boot into linux (no distro preference) and windows? I would also like to use the XOSL boot loader because it can hide partitions from one another so different os's don't interact (is this really necessary?). I'm pretty new to linux (I'm installing it to learn) so please try to understand. Thanks.

PS: I've since discovered linux boot cd's so I don't really need to have it installed on my hard drive to use it, but it would be nice since it should boot faster and I'll be able to save things in linux.
Jim
I think the best way to install linux and have a dual boot system is if you can dedicate an entire hard drive to linux. Thats my personal favorite way.
If you can't do that, or don't want to buy another hard drive which I understand, what you need to do is free up some space on your windows partition. I am asuming that you have an NTFS partition that takes up the entire drive for windows.

There are a couple options for resizing the NTFS partition wile still keeping the windows files in tack. Norton Ghost I believe will do it, PartitionMagic supposedly will, and Mandrake 9 has an instillation option to "install in windows free space" however, I have never used any of those to resize the NTFS files.

The other option is to start from scratch by reformatting your entire hard drive. The best thing to do in that case is to back everything important up (you should do that either way) and than re-install windows leaving some empty space on the hard drive, and by empty I mean un-partitioned. And making a small FAT32 partition to move files back and forth between Windows and Linux. The size of that partition depends on what you want to move around. I have a 5 gig partition so that I can keep a bunch of music and other stuff on it. But besides the point. After you have installed windows, than install your linux distro. And that should do it.

As for hiding partitions from each other I don't really think thatís necessary. Windows wont naturally bother seeing linux partitions and only some linux distros will see NTFS drives. And both will see the FAT32 in the middle which will work for you.

Any other questions?
Ax3
I'm having a similar problem with Slackware7.1(Outdated... I know). I have my partitions set up as follows:
(I kept them all under the 1024th cylinder to keep LILO happy.)

/dev/hda1 linux native (/)
/dev/hda2 HPFS/NTFS (win xp)
/dev/hda3 swap
/dev/hda4 linux native (/usr)

I've tried installing LILO to the root partition and making it bootable, I've tried putting it on the MBR, I've tried using the Windows boot manager(pressin F8, selecting the OS) linux doesn't even show up. All I keep getting is an error saying that LILO isn't installing. What am I doing wrong??? Should I put Windows on /hda1? I'm doing all this on a Dell laptop. The only a: I have is an external one so I can't even make a boot disk. Any segestions?? Anyone??? I'm desperate for help, and any is greatly appreciated!! Also... whats up with FAT32? It sounds nice to be able to trade files between my two OS's(would save me alot of memory.) Can I make this an extended partition? What do I "mount" it as???
chrisw
if your windows partition is NTFS, lilo WILL NOT install on it(being the MBR)..you have to either use a bootdisk to boot into linux or the other way is to install the bootloader in a partition where you installed Linux, not in the master boot record (MBR). There should be an option during the install to do this..
Jim
I have installed lilo on the MBR of my NTFS drive for a dual boot system in the past and currently have GRUB installed there. I didn't run into anyproblems.

Also, I used the "Installed in to Window's Free Space" option in Mandrake 10 for the first time the other day and it worked very well. Just make sure you have recently defraged and done a full scan disk to make sure that the drive is in the best possible order before Mandrake starts fooling with it.
Hemant
LBA...is Linear block addressing

this is used..when you create extended partitions..of WIN'95 file systems...type...a bad thing to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.