Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Hat 9 Update
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
Robert83
I've read an article where hughesjr wrote how he upgrades his linux.

Well I did the same, with apt , I managed to download everything and installed everything.
After this I've downloaded the latest stable kernel for my amd platform, and installed it, everything was ok,
but after that it messed up my entire system no modules for eth0, then usb etc.

The questions are :

1. Where does apt put's the downloaded upgrades? [since 200MB 2-4x a day can be a lot]
2. I don't really understand this :

Install the latest kernel via the command:

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.20-28.9.i686.rpm (or rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.20-28.9.athlon.rpm if using the Athlon). [OK]

After this is done ... you need to install the kernel-source package: [OK]

You can do this with the following command:

apt-get install kernel-source#2.4.20-28.9 [????] how do I run this? , since entering it directly won't work.

I'll hope someone will help me, till then I won't try upgrading my kernel to the latest amd optimized one.

Thank you foreward.

Sincerely
Robert
hughesjr
apt downloads the files to /var/cache/apt ... but after sucessful installation, it deletes them...

you can use the command:

apt-get clean

to manually remove all installed packages as well...
----------------
Kernels and kernel-sources are tricky with apt-get ... but you can install it like this:

apt-get install kernel-source#2.4.20-28.9
should install the kernel source in redhat 9 ... if you have freshrpms as a source in /etc/apt/sources.list

I don't ever use the apt-get to install the actual kernel because I want to ensure the proper arch is chosen (ie, athlon, i386, i586, i686, etc.) ... but for the kernel-source it doesn't matter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.