Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rpm And Deb Packages In Xwindows
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
poetfreak
I am running vector linux and I want to add a package manager that allows me to install RPM packages (and debian packages, too if I could) in X.
hughesjr
I would recommend that you instead try SWareT ... but point it to the vectorlinux updates site, not the slackware sites.

Using RPM with vector (or slackware for that matter) will cause problems, because many things are handled differently (the startup scripts, the location of programs with in directories, etc.).

I know you had sound problems before, but now that you know the module names ... do the command:

lsmod

to get a fully list of them ... you can load them in other versions of linux that have rpm and apt-get (like fedora ...) or you can use mandrake and use the command urpmi....

Actually, you might try the LiveCD for PCLinuxOS 2K4 ... it is based on Mandrake 9.2 ... but uses apt-get for updates. You can boot from the live CD and see if the sound works (starting out, login as root ... the password is also root). See this news thread for more info on PCLinuxOS 2K4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.