Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Software Installation
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
wookmaster
I downloaded a program called wmlaptop, I want to use it on my laptop so i can see how much battery power I have, I am running redhat 9.

It comes all in source code, .c and header files, I try using make install and make commands in the terminal but I keep getting an error that refers to gcc, so I searched and downloaded GCC, I tried using ./configure to install GCC I get this error

Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/wookmaster/gcc-3.3.2 using "mt-frag"
./configure: line 8: cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I thought GCC was the compiler I was trying to install but it looks like its telling me to install a compiler for the compiler, but im probably wrong, anyone help me out with this?

Thanks
shaggy999
What is the initial GCC-related error that you got when trying to compile the wmlaptop package? Perhaps you have GCC, but something isn't set correctly?

Another option: I believe there is a utility in Red Hat 9 which allows you to install packages off of the installation CDs anytime after installation. And the utility looks just like the initial installer... you select the packages you want to add and then just hit go. There are compiler packages on there so all you have to do is select the packages and hit go.

BTW, perusing the gcc website shows that you need a bootstrap compiler installed and they provide lots of information there, but it looks like a harrowing process. wacko.gif
shaggy999
This command will tell you if you have GCC installed or not, btw:

rpm -q gcc
hughesjr
The default install of RH doesn't install gcc ... there are many ways to get it ... the easiest is:

menu - System Settings - Add/Remove Applications

then

go to the Development section and pick Development Tools.

Then, if you are using up2date (or yum or apt-get) to do system updates ... and you should be ... update to the latest version of the installed software.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.