Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound Troubles
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
beinkken
Hello,

I am running SuSE 9.0 and kde 3.1 I am having troubel with playing mp3's through xmms. When I play music it works for a few seconds and then it sortof jumps and skips a bit, then it is normal again, then it skips and bumps. It is almost as if everytime I run another aplication or even move the mouse the sound gets distorted. Has anyone heard of similar problems, and if so what is the solution. Thanks I am very new to linux and not sure how to fix this by myself!
Corey
This normally happens with the lack of memory or processing power to use everything at once.

What kind of processor do you have? How much memory? This could very well be the cause.

If you have a higher-end box, then we may need to check other things.
beinkken
I have a pentium 4 with a 2.4 Ghz processor and 512 MB or ram. My sound card works fine in windows and it was fine in red hat before I made the switch to SuSE. It is not necessarily when I am donig other things on the computer either. Within the past few days I have noticed that it seems to happen within the first ten seconds or so when I load a song always. That is the only pattern I can see, otherwise it jsut does it regardless of whether other apps are running or not. Any other ideas?
hughesjr
That is a good machine ... it seems very strange that it would have problems ...

what is the output of the commands (run as root):

hdparm -v /dev/hda

hdparm -i /dev/hda

hdparm -t /dev/hda
beinkken
okay i tried those commands and here is what I got.

u143n141:~ # hdparm -v /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 9729/255/63, sectors = 156301488, start = 0
u143n141:~ #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
u143n141:~ # hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

Model=WDC WD800BB-00CAA1, FwRev=17.07W17, SerialNo=WD-WMA8E3925400
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=57600, SectSize=600, ECCbytes=40
BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=156301488
IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
AdvancedPM=no WriteCache=enabled
Drive conforms to: device does not report version:

* signifies the current active mode

u143n141:~ #
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
u143n141:~ # hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 70 MB in 3.02 seconds = 23.19 MB/sec
u143n141:~ #
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont' know what any of that stuff means, but I hope it will help solve my problem.
hughesjr
The commands give hard drive information .... some things I wanted to check for were:

dma for the hard drives is on (it is *udma5 ... which is the best available)

I am assuming you are playing the files from the local hard drive (Primary Master - hda) ... is that correct (or are you playing them from another machine via a network connection ... or maybe from a cd ... or from a second hard drive?)

You can make an adjustment tha tmight help your transfer rate just a bit ....

try the command (as root):

hdparm -u1 -c3 -a16 /dev/hda

It should give you the best performance for your hard drive ...

The changes are:

-u1 (turns on unmask IRQ for IDE controller - very little effect, slight increase in performance)

-c3 (turns on IDE 32-bit IO - This can increase hard drive performance by 10-15%)

-a16 (increases the read ahead cache from 8 to 16 - I find this setting slightly better when streaming movies or mp3s ... but it is a slight increase in performance).

The biggest thing, by far, is dma_on ... which was already enabled on your drive.

Try xmms with after issuing the above command and see if there is any difference...


if you have any secondary drives, post the same 3 commands (in my first post) for them.....if this helps your situation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.