Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Help Installing Any Version Of Linux!
Linuxhelp > Support > Technical Support
DJ_TRIPP420
I have a new toshiba satellite laptop. I don't have a floopy drive. I have a bootable cd-rom drive. I'm running xp pro. I'm looking for a newbie friendly version of linux that I can get to install on this machine. I tried mandrake and redhat with no luck. I can't either of the two to boot from a cd. Any help would be great.

Toshiba Satellite 2455-53001
Windows Xp Pro
30 gb hard drive /2 partions
512 mb RAM
Corey
Redhat and Mandrake *should* boot from your cdrom without any problem. Have you checked your bios settings to ensure that you're laptop is attempting to boot from the cdrom before it boots from the hard disk? If not, then your computer will boot the hard disk first which will bring you into your Windows install.

There's not much sense in suggesting any other distribution for you to try if Redhat or Mandrake won't boot from cd for you, because chances are, any others won't work for you either.
black dog
Sorry if this is the wrong idea, but do you mean boot off the CD and RUN off the CD, like some Linux distros, rather than just install off a CD?

I believe Lindows boots and runs off CD, but you have to pay for it.
hughesjr
Maybe the ISO's aren't being burned as an image ... see this thread for how-tos on burning ISOs

It could be a hardware detection issue with the video card...

BTW ... it's actually a Satellite 2455-S3001

I didn't see any installs of Linux on that version .... you might try a text install and load the latest Nvidia drivers ... get the drivers with this command from the command prompt, as root, (if the network is working) all one line:
CODE
wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Get the latest kernel and kernel source:

CODE
wget ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/redhat/linux/updates/9/en/os/i686/kernel-2.4.20-28.9.i686.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/redhat/linux/updates/9/en/os/i386/kernel-source-2.4.20-28.9.i386.rpm

Install the kernel and kernel-source:

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.4.20-28.9.i686.rpm kernel-source-2.4.20-28.9.i386.rpm

reboot to linux

login as root

chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config with a console editor ... vi is installed via the initial install ... it is very hard to use....probably easier to use in the text editor joe

You can install joe with the console command:

CODE
wget ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/joe-2.9.7-12.i386.rpm

Then

rpm -Uvh joe-2.9.7-12.i386.rpm

Then the command:

joe /etc/X11/XF86Config

remark out the lines (by placing a # in fornt of them) for dri and GLcore

and change the line:

Display "xxxxxxx"

to

Display "nvidia"

then save the file with the command:

Ctrl-k followed by Shift-D.

You should then be able to do the command startx and have graphics.
DJ_TRIPP420
I do have the the bios set to boot from cd-rom. I will retry burning the images. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you can think of anything else
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.